We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leona's Chimayo red chile alternative?

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 43
Leona's Chimayo red chile alternative?

Hi!

As a native New Mexican now living in Seattle, on NM visits to see the family my wife and I always made the pilgrimage to Chimayo to pick up some of Leona's red chile powder (then over to La Chiripada to get a case of wine!). I don't know if it was her supplier, or what, but the chile Leona sold always seemed to be super flavorful, rich and complex. Was I just imagining things or was it really that different?

Now that they they are closed ( *very* *very* sad!), where shall we get our chile?

I know that there are other shops that sell red chile powder in Chimayo, but are they as good?

Do you have a recommendation for red chile power alternative that would be that good?

Thanks! -Karl

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 119
1. Re: Leona's Chimayo red chile alternative?

Here is the good news. The gift shop is still open so you can order red chile from Leona's. They have a web page at www.leonasrestaurante.com/Products.html.

John

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
2. Re: Leona's Chimayo red chile alternative?

Thank you so much, grizz & Karlitos!

We're away & need some too. We were looking in Billings this past weekend but to no avail.

We've never tried this brand- hatch in NM & Bueno in AK- I'm sure it's delicious.

I'm going to try the rojo and the green powder. Appreciate the recommendation & link.

Edited: 5:15 pm, January 07, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 43
3. Re: Leona's Chimayo red chile alternative?

YAY!

Thanks John! I had typed the URL that is on the back of the label we last got from them and (for some reason) it is one letter off from the true URL (on the label it lacks the final "e" in restaurante). So I kept getting a domain not found message.

Great to see that they are not only still there but you can order online!

I see they even have biscochitos! I wonder how many crumbs they would be in upon arrival via USPS! :)

-K

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 119
4. Re: Leona's Chimayo red chile alternative?

Glad to help Karlitos. I have not been to Chimayo in a long time. Used to get tortillas from Leona's when she just had a little stand. Folks don't understand the passion that New Mexicans have for chile.

John

5. Re: Leona's Chimayo red chile alternative?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 09, 2014