We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 4
Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

We (family of four, including two teens ages 14 and 18) will be in Santa Fe for five days in mid-August. I'd appreciate recommendations for half- and fill day hikes, whitewater rafting (if stlill possible) and ballooning nearby. I've signed up for Groupons for ballooning, which seems incredibly expensive, but so far no luck. Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
1. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

As it's a low water year... A half day trip on the "racecourse", with a outfitter that provides "funyacks" will have to serve...There are fine hiking trails in the foothills & mountains above Santa Fe...As balloon rides also requirethe weather to cooperate ... I'll suggest a rail excursion from Chama ... carracar

Washington DC
2. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

Thanks very much

New Jersey
reviews: 61
3. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

There was a groupon out of ABQ yesterday for ballooning I believe.

We rafted mid-august last year and had a fun time. It wasn't a crazy, dangerous ride, but enough water to be fun enough.

Favorite hikes for us (including kids) were on top of the Sandia tram and at Bandelier.

Washington DC
4. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

Thanks. Definitely will put Bandolier on my list and look into the tram. Saw the ABQ groupon for ballooning but I was traveling at the time and it was for a trip at dawn--iffy with two teens!

New Jersey
reviews: 61
5. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

I think most of them go at dawn, but I could be wrong. I hear you about the teens! :)

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
6. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

Re: your latter response. Almost all balloon flights commence at dawn (as at the Balloon Fiesta) because wind is the greatest safety factor, and the two hours or so after sunrise are usually the quietest, wind-wise.

There is no hot air ballooning "over" Santa Fe because of the lack of landing areas. Santa Fe balloons fly SW of town. There are many more hot air balloons giving rides in ABQ. Many use Rio Rancho, on our West Mesa as launching sites. There is much more open space out there.

Ballooning is also available in Taos Valley. Probably at dawn too, LOL! Enjoy your "experiences!"

P.S. August is at the end of our "Monsoon Season," so expect showers and thunderstorms after mid-afternoon.

Edited: 5:02 pm, July 16, 2012
Washington DC
7. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

Thank you. Yes, I was expecting to do ballooning in ABQ not Santa Fe. Now I'm kicking myself about passing on the Groupon because of the timing, if they all tend to go at dawn! Kids will just have to get up early.

8. Re: Hiking, whitewater rafting and ballooning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 18, 2013