We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos on way to Denver?

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
reviews: 44
Taos on way to Denver?

Hello

We are visiting friends in Colorado Springs and then heading to Santa Fe. We will have 2 and a half days in SF. Should we see Taos on our day trip day, or would it be out of the way to see Taos on our way back to Denver? We had planned the Bandelier area for our day trip, and one and a half days in Santa Fe. Open to suggestions, thanks!

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
1. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

We have a cabin on the high road to Taos & it's pretty easy to drive Santa Fe to Taos to Ft. Garland to Walsenburg to Denver. In fact, La Veta pass is beautiful along the way.

Have a wonderful trip, Discobear.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
2. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

I would certainly take in Taos coming from, AND going back to Denver. Unless you have severe time restraints, which would force you to use the bland,, but faster I-25,

I would recommend you travel down via Cimarron, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire (stop for an inspirational moment at the Vietnam Verterans Memorial), and through beautiful Taos Valley into Taos, and Taos Pueblo...the latter being a "must-see" in Northern New Mexico!

From Taos you have the choice of the Low Road, or High Road to Espanola, just above Santa Fe. The Low Road runs along the Rio Grande River for most of its distance into Espanola, and is faster. The High Road, via Penasco, Trampas, Chimayo, etc. is arguably the more scenic, with picturesque adobe villages and old churches on the meadow covered shoulders of the Sangre de Christo Mountains. A stop at the Santuario de Chimayo chapel south of Chimayo is another "must-see" landmark. The High Road will take an extra hour including stops. Returning from Santa Fe, take the optiional "road" back. From Taos you can take another pleasant route via the afore mentioned La Veta Pass. North from Taos to Questa, and Fort Garland, Colorado...then east to Walsnburg on I-25.

Hopefully, you will find many enchantments of your own during your visit.

Edited: 12:50 pm, May 27, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 30
3. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

The main route from SF-Denver is I-25, which passes Pecos, Los Alamos, Cimarron, Raton and Trinidad CO. Of course on that route you wan't pass Taos, but those are good stop overs if you decided on that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 30
4. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

oops not Los Alamos, I mean Las Vegas

Minnesota
5. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

This was most helpful. Thanks much.

Minnesota
6. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

I think we will take this route back up to Denver. Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
7. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

Taos Pueblo is really a "must see" in Northern New Mexico, and the highways between Cimarron (which is not on I-25) pass entirely through beauriful mountain scenery.

IMHO, I-25 is preferable only if speed is of the essence. Enjoy your visit, whichever route you eventually choose! :-)

8. Re: Taos on way to Denver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, June 26, 2013