We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend advice needed!

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Riverton, Utah
reviews: 38
Weekend advice needed!

My 14 yo daughter and I will be flying in on a Wed evening to meet my hubby who will already be there on business so we will have a rental car and we are staying at the Embassy Suites on the Riverwalk. After we throw our bags in the room Im thinking we should hit the River Tour Cruise (should I buy tickets online or just get them there?) to get our baring's and then dinner it sounds like on the Riverwalk Boudro's is pretty highly rated. Thursday we will spend the day at Six Flags hopefully it wont be as crowded as the weekend.... Im not sure how to plan Friday and Saturday, we would like to do the Alamo and the Missions as well as explore the Riverwalk, King William Historic District and the El Mercado/Market Square. We fly out noon Sunday so not much time that morning. Any suggestions on how to best use Friday and Saturday?

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
reviews: 31
1. Re: Weekend advice needed!

I'd hit Guenther House (in King William) for breakfast one of those mornings....eat outside or inside in the original German family home...Pioneer Flour is still produced on the site. open 7am daily.Biscuits and gravy! and waffles are my favs...you can check out the rest of the historic house and the gift shop.

check out the history and menu www.guentherhouse.com

----------

Market Square you can either do a meal or simply hang out-a litttle shopping, sip on margaritas

for ex Mi Tierra-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUxOD0tJic

------

I'd hit Boudro's for a pit stop for prickly pear margaritas and the guacamole made table side. I'd take the opportunity to try another place for a meal.

---------

take a peek or pit stop at Schilo's German Deli downtown...circa 1917, root beer on tap, split pea soup

walk through historic Menger Hotel-next to the Alamo

walk under the freeway towards the Alamodome, small area called Susnet Station-original Amtrak station/depot

take a look/walk to Southwest Craft Center/north bank to walk the grounds of the old Ursuline Academy-https://www.swschool.org/historymuseum .

Stop next door and take a peek at SA Central Library-

culturenow.org/entry&permalink=12093&seo=Fie…

if you want to get out of downtown for a few hours, the zoo is 10mins away, HEB Central Market up Broadway is relatively close if you happen to be a foodie at all. Chris Madrid's Hamburgers north of downtown.

downtown SA is walkable- you really shouldn't need your car until Sunday unless you plan for a short excursion out of downtown

Enjoy your visit!

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 87
2. Re: Weekend advice needed!

I would do the River tour early, not always a breeze down there and parts are in the sun......go while it is cool.

Outside of San Antonio is Natural Bridge Caverns, nice and cool here. http://www.naturalbridgecaverns.com/(S(0xw1rpbhh1zawivfyutjqoih))/Index.aspx

Edited: 10:32 am, June 26, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 28
3. Re: Weekend advice needed!

I totally agree with your plans like doing the river tour cruise when you 1st arrive to get your bearings + lots of good info. You can get your tickets when you arrive but unless you want to get them now but you would be find in getting them when you arrive. www.RioSanAntonio.com

Another good choice is having dinner @ Boudro's the food is very good + a very nice place to dine on the river. www.boudros.com you may want to get the guacamole prepared tableside with a yummy Prickly Pear Margarita.

As you said Thursday won't be as bad as the weekend another good choice by you.

You can pick which day you want to do what but I would suggest

One Day visit the missions, all of them are very interesting with lots of historic info. Depending on if you plan to do them all then start with the farthest which is Espada & work you way up to the Alamo. www.nps.gov/saan after visiting all of the missions you may want to go & see the movie "Price of Freedom" @ IMAX www.imax-sa.com @ Rivercenter Mall www.shoprivercenter.com then go to the Alamo www.thealamo.org which will bring it to more to life when visiting. After you visit the Alamo you may want to stroll to San Ferenando Cathedral where some of the hero bodies are entomb. www.sfcathedral.org then that evening you could stroll over to Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com & grab a very good Tex Mex Meal @ either La Margarita www.lamargarita.com or Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com the are sister restaurant & both very good just depends on your personal preference & criteria. If you want Cerviche then La Margarita is the place also you could explore the riverwalk.

Another Day you could stroll the King Willaim www.kingwilliamassociation.org in am & grab breakfast or lunch ! Guenther House www.guentherhouse.com then drive over to Natural Bridge Cavern You could also visit Gruene & grab a bite @ Gristmill River restaurant www.Gristmillrestaurant.com

www.naturalbridgecaverns.com & Natural Bridge Wildlife ranch www.wildliferanchtexas.com or take a drive to the Hill Country & stop in Bandera which is the Cowboy Capital www.banderascowboycapital.com or visit Enchanted Spring Ranch www.enchantedspringsranch.com

There are so many choices in what to do just depends on your personal preference & criteria for a fun visit & fabulous time in SA.

Riverton, Utah
4. Re: Weekend advice needed!

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for. So can we walk to King William from our hotel Embassy). My maps wont be here til Monday so Im trying to piece everything together off fragment maps from each location. Im getting the feeling its a very walkable city. How do I get more info on the mission trail, if Im looking at the right info its about 9 miles. Im thinking we are going to want a car to do this because of the heat factor. Pruske25 all your links are awesome! You have really given me some great options and the bearings on what is possible on each day. Thank you LOCALS!!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
reviews: 31
5. Re: Weekend advice needed!

yelp.com/biz/king-william-historic-district-…

walking map..info on historic homes...printable or you can find the headquartes for the SA Conservation Society and maps can found on the fence or inside at their office

saconservation.org/Portals/…20Brochure.pdf

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
6. Re: Weekend advice needed!

esthichick I'm glad my links & info was of some help to you.

In my post the link www.nps.gov/saan is for info on the missions. Click on Plan your visit then click on Directions & Maps then you'll see Map highlighted click on it & then the map will appear of the missions trail. or you can click on Closure & alternate route & map for missions. Since it's been very warm you are right a car may be better to see all the missions.

You are correct on that majority of the attractions in the downtown area is very walkable. If it's to warm for you to walk there is a streetcar/trolley for the downtown area to get around that is $1.10 www.viainfo.net/Busservice/streetcar.aspx & you can also buy a day pass for $3 or $4 I believe.

Yes you can walk to King William either thru riverwalk or street level or take the streetcar/trolley just depends on how you want to get there.

If you have any more ??? or need additional info just ask be glad to help you plan a fun trip & a fantastic time while you are here.

Riverton, Utah
7. Re: Weekend advice needed!

Thank you for all your info and links! Were at 102* here today but its a dry heat. Is SA heat dry or humid? I think the walking will depend on the weather... I'm really excited to come down and check out all the fun things you guys have helped me figure out! Its so nice to get input from people who actually know what they are talking about. THANK YOU!!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
8. Re: Weekend advice needed!

I wish our heat was dry but No it's humid. We reach a record today of 108 but we did have a little breeze with it. They are saying in the next few days the temp will drop to 93.

I hope your plans work out for you & you do have a fabulous time while in SA,

BTW did you find the maps in the above link that I provided for the missions ??????

Riverton, Utah
9. Re: Weekend advice needed!

I did get the map links and have quickly looked over the info. I plan on going over it in deeper detail before we leave. I really like to educate our daughter as well as make it fun for her. Trying to mix both can be challenging but so worth it! Thanks again for all your insight and help. Cant wait to try the prickly pear margaritas. :D

10. Re: Weekend advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 02, 2014