We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

We are a couple without kids about 60 years old. We cannot decide which one of these resorts would be best for the week of April 20th. We love sitting in the sun but do not golf. We plan to sight see maybe 2 days out of the 6 and will have a car.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 64
1. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

I've never been to JW. Both are very nice. JW may be a little more convenient to downtown. JW is newer.

Edited: 10:45 am, February 15, 2013
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
reviews: 52
2. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

agree JW is newer... a sleek, hill country look

easy access due north on hwy 281 if you wanna take a drive in the hill country...Johnson City is due north of SA...childhood home of LBJ

nps.gov/lyjo/planyourvisit/visitlbjranch.htm

negative is the horrendous traffic at 281/1604

limited restaurants in the immediate area of the resort

not that it matters but La Canera has a slight Spanish motif

also easy access to the Hill Country...Bandera,Fredericksburg

positive-lots of shopping and restaurants nearby...The Rim,The Shops at La Cantera, Bass Pro Shop, IMAX etc.

Milwaukee, WI
3. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

Thank you for your responses.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 28
4. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

They are the 2 best resorts in SA so you can't go wrong with either one just which meets your criteria.

JWM is more secluded with nice pools & hot tub but you do have some nice restaurants nearby as well.

La Cantera is by Fiesta TX which has lots of eating options & shopping.

Sorry I'm not much help here but I do agree it's hard to choose between the 2 so you'll have to see which criteria is better & personal preference.

As I said no wrong choice just which is better for your preference in stay.

Have a fantastic time in SA in wherever you decide.

Milwaukee, WI
5. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

Thank you so much for your help.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 5
6. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

I've stayed @ both properties, the JW most recently. The JW seems a bit more remote than the LaCantera and the Marriott really caters to families with kids. The area around LaCantera is more established so there are more restaurants, shops to drive to in that area. Of couse with that you will have more traffic, but it shouldn't be a deterrent. I think you will be happy with either property.

Milwaukee, WI
7. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

Thank you so much. I think we have decided to stay at the La Cantera. I am sure we will enjoy it.

8. Re: Westin La Cantera vs. J W Marriott Hill Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 20, 2014