We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey TexasHam, RE: Original Mexican Restaurant in SA

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX.
reviews: 21
Hey TexasHam, RE: Original Mexican Restaurant in SA

I noticed your rec. against this place and am wondering why? Robb Walsh mentioned in his book that this place was one of the oldest in SA and therefore I'm guessing it should be pretty good. I grew up in SA and love places like Karam's and Blanco Cafe for good basic cheese enchiladas and tacos. Please compare the Original.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 62
1. Re: Hey TexasHam, RE: Original Mexican Restaurant in SA

Location, location, location. I think OMR's biggest asset is it's name and being on the Riverwalk. I haven't eaten there in at least a decade so I can't compare, but I do know that in a city with literally thousands of Mexican restaurant choices I'm not heading back anytime soon. And if you follow the locals you'll not be heading to OMR.

Madison, WI
reviews: 4
2. Re: Hey TexasHam, RE: Original Mexican Restaurant in SA

Ate at the Original Mexican Resturant this past Thursday night, by accident. The Riverwalk was quite crowded, and their signage is fairly close to Rio Rio, where we thought we were eating.

The service was great, the food was decent, the strolling Mariachi band was extremely overpriced ($10 a song) and atmosphere was ok. While we were eating, a mouse decided to join the party. He kept running in and out of the planter separating the resturant and riverwalk sidewalk. We were far enough away for it to be funny, but the lady sitting next to the planter didn't think so. She started throwing chips at it. He must have been in critter heaven with all those chips because he never came back out.

Mi Tierra's was good. The atmosphere far exceded my expectations, however the food was average. Their strolling Mariachi's only charge $5 a song. The bakery was wonderful. San Antonio was celebrating Mexican Independence Day at the El Mercado on Friday, so the place was jammed with people dancing and drinking. It was a fun place to walk through. I wish the Market stores stayed open longer than 6 though.

Texas
reviews: 5
3. Re: Hey TexasHam, RE: Original Mexican Restaurant in SA

Karams and Blanco Cafe are 2 of my faves in SA..Omr is not in the same league!! Without venturing far,there are at least 2 more mex rest. that blow omr away as well...El Mirador and Rosario's..Of course omr is on the river..But,if you want to eat on the river,Boudro's and Zuni are fantastic(although not Mex.)

Austin, TX.
reviews: 21
4. Re: Hey TexasHam, RE: Original Mexican Restaurant in SA

1life2live wrote:

"Karams and Blanco Cafe are 2 of my faves in SA..Omr is not in the same league"

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for, someone with similar tastes in SA Mex food that has eaten at OMR. I also really enjoy El Mirador for slightly more upscale Mex and passed by Rosarios but never eaten there. What's the best meal there and is it more like Karams and Blanco Cafe or El Mirador?

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 9
5. Re: Hey TexasHam, RE: Original Mexican Restaurant in SA

Rosarios and El Mirador are both high quality, tasty Mexican food restaurants close to downtown that I would put up to the Pepsi Challenge against any other Mexican restaurant in the country. Rosarios has the slight edge as far as food and atmosphere are concerned. Their enchiladas and salsa are awesome! Breakfast Migas and soups at El Mirador are incredible. The Original Mexican Restaurant (OMR) ranks far below Taco Cabano or even Taco Bell for that matter. I ate at OMR about 6 months ago, and I was sorely dissapointed. The refried beans were just a big mass of tasteless lard with a few beans thrown in to the mix. The beef taco meat had no flavor and was dry! The taco shell reminded me of pressed cardboard and tasted the same. The cheese enchiladas were very subpar and reminded me of a tv dinner. The salsa was rank and had a poor taste. I'm sure the only reason that OMR stays in business is because of the location and the name.