We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter camping

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
reviews: 14
Winter camping

We will be traveling through Arizona and want to visit Saguaro NP. We will be camping. What should we expect in regards of the weather, and where do you suggest we pitch our tent. We do prefer flush toilets, but showers are optional.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 11
1. Re: Winter camping

I would suggest Cactus Country RV Resort. They have full facilities and have tent campsites. It is fairly close to Saguaro National Park East.

http://www.cactuscountryrvresort.com/

Near Saguaro National Park West and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is the Gilbert Ray Campground. Bare necessities in the way of facilities.

have-fun-in-the-southwest.com/Gilbert-Ray-Ca…

Winter weather really varies We can have daytime temps in the 70's or in the 40's to 50's, nighttime temps usually high 30's to lower 40's., but could be much colder. Check this site for normals and extremes:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/climate/tus.php

Edited: 5:09 pm, August 29, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 11
2. Re: Winter camping

Oops! Here is the link to Cactus Country's Tucson campground:

www.cactuscountryrvresort.com/abtucson/

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 99
3. Re: Winter camping

Saguaro National Park only has hike-in campgrounds. If you want a flush toilet and a shower, then Cactus Country is really the only option. There are KOAs in Benson and near Picacho Peak, both 35-45 minutes from the city.

Personally, I would only tent camp in the winter in the lowest elevations in the state, like around Yuma. Tucson still gets pretty chilly at night in the winter, so it can get a little uncomfortable. But it is nice that it warms up so quickly once the sun rises.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 60
4. Re: Winter camping

Check out the weather for the time of year that you plan to be here. Any night in the second half of December and all of January can go below freezing.

Windsor, Ontario
reviews: 8
5. Re: Winter camping

Bumping this as I too am considering flying in to Tucson for a winter tent camping trip in early to mid-December. I'm comfortable camping with temperature drops to the low 40s and would be OK with high 30s. A little apprehensive about sudden dips to the 20s though...BRRR!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 60
6. Re: Winter camping

Having once been a tent camper, and having lived in Tucson for 36 years, I don't see this as a place for tent camping. If you are looking for a campground, there are a few on the far outskirts of town in state or county parks and one private RV campground which allows tent camping. They are usually monopolized by people staying for longer periods. You would have to have a car as you would be near nothing. If you wanted to camp "in the woods," it would be at higher elevations, and either hiking in or in dispersed camping in the Catalina Mountains (only ones with road access near Tucson). 20s F would be rare in December. Our coldest nights are in February.

Save up some money and stay in a budget hotel. I don't think camping here would be exactly a pleasant experience overall.

7. Re: Winter camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 11, 2014