We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

My wife and I spend a lot of time in Az. Usually Phoenix and Northern Az. Have done some day trips to Tucson but nothing much outside of the general metro area. Thought we would spend a day or 2 checking out Bisbee/Tombstone/Kartchner Caves. Was looking at staying at the Copper Queen in Bisbee.

Any other suggestions for lodging or things to do in the area?

Paris, France
1. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

We liked the restored vintage travel trailers at the Shady Dell in Bisbee.

http://www.theshadydell.com/

Liked the Queen Mine tour.

http://www.queenminetour.com/

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 97
2. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

The Copper Queen is nice. Historic. Aside from the mine tour (which is great) and the mining museum, I don't know that there's a lot to "do" in Bisbee except just sort of walk around and take in the ambiance. Lots of little shops, cafes, and a ton of stairs. Your Kartchner and Tombstone visits will take most of the day from Tucson, so you can stay overnight in Bisbee and maybe leave for Tucson the next afternoon. Or stay two nights. You can check out the TripAdvisor list of attractions in Bisbee for more ideas: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31171-Activitie…

A few things around there, but not in Bisbee specifically: wineries (Elgin and Sonoita area), Fairbank (restored ghost town), Pearce (real ghost town), Cochise Stronghold (well north of Bisbee).

Bisbee, Arizona
3. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

Now until February is a good time to visit Whitewater Draw (30 minutes from Bisbee) to watch the Sandhill Cranes (azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/wildlife_area_w…). Some like to get there at dawn (very chilly) to watch them leave for their morning feeding. I like to go there around 10:30, 11 (much warmer) to watch them coming back in droves from their morning feeding.

San Pedro House (http://www.sanpedroriver.org/fsprhome.shtml) is a good place for birdwatching. Chiricahua National Monument is a good place for hiking.

Re. Bisbee: every second Saturday of the month is a good day to go to Bisbee if you enjoy shopping (discoverbisbee.com/documents/Ba5_Postcard_Fr…). While you're there, try to get a stairclimb map so that you can explore the stairs of Bisbee (my favorite thing to do).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
reviews: 64
4. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

If you can manage a couple of days or so, there is a lot to see and do in southeastern Arizona.

In addition to the above suggestions, which are all very, very good, there is Ramsey Canyon just outside Sierra Vista with a ton of hummingbirds.

If you are interested in heading over to see the cranes or Cochise, etc., you could set up in Willcox, which is the home of Rex Allen, the cowboy movie star.

At the north end of the Chiricahua Mountains is old Fort Bowie, which was used as the base for campaigns against the Apaches, plus a Butterfield Stage station. You would have to hike a bit over 3 miles to get there. It should not be bad, if you are coming during the fall, winter or spring.

However if you are coming during the winter, keep an eye on the weather. The high country in SE Arizona can get some nasty storms.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 22
5. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

We did the same trip last year. We stayed at the Copper Queen, did the Queen Mine tour, walked around the old cemetery, had lunch at the Bisbee Grille, checked out the shops & mining museum, had happy hour at the little bar in the Copper Queen and finished up with a walking ghost tour. The next day, we went to Tombstone and toured the Bird Cage Theater, shops and the Boothill Cemetery (free admission). On the way home, we stopped at Kartchner Caverns, which was very interesting.

ohio
reviews: 20
6. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

good info. can tombstone and bisbee both be done in one full day leaving tuscon early morning and arriving back in the evening?.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
reviews: 64
7. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

Although a lot depends on where you start in Tucson, the drive from Tucson to Tombstone is roughly an hour and a half. Bisbee is about 20 miles down the road from Tombstone. So you can do both in one day, but it would be a hurried trip.

Asuncion, Paraguay
reviews: 39
8. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

If you like beer, Old Bisbee Brewing Company might be worth checking out. It is maybe a two minute walk from the hotel.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 12
9. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

I'd also recommend staying at the Letson Loft in Bisbee. Get a room that overlooks the street and you can soak in the ambiance of Bisbee. Be sure to check out Cafe Roka if you're a foodie, it's a must eat place.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 189
10. Re: Suggestions for trip to Bisbee/Tombstone Area

Depending on what you like to do-- there's several ghost towns in the area. Fairbanks (kept up by the parks system?) north of Tombstone. We took a dirt road and stopped at Gleeson (old jail) Courtland (several ruins) and Pearce.

If you enjoy hiking-- we loved the hike up to the divide at Cochise Stronghold. Also great hiking in the Chiricahuas followed that morning with a trip to Fort Bowie. We love history, so... Fort Bowie was very neat. It is a mile and 1/2 hike in, but not a difficult one. Quite easy compared to the 3 mile hike UP at Coshise and the hiking down into the canyon of the Chiricahuas and back up.

In Tombstone, we enjoyed the Birdcage and Boothill. BIg Nose Kate's had really good food and service. We approached Tombstone with the attitude of having fun-- it's quite touristy, but, alot of fun. It IS the town that refuses to die and thier latest way to do that is thru tourism. Everyone we ran across was nice, full of historic facts, fun and.... trying hard to make sure we had a good experience. :)