We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in the Hamptons

Brisbane
reviews: 42
One Day in the Hamptons

We are planning on spending one day driving around the Hamptons in September. I am wondering which little towns are worth visiting and have some character. Where would you stay for one night? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
reviews: 22
1. Re: One Day in the Hamptons

All of the towns that make up the Hamptons have character. They are all old New England fishing villages that have grown into tourist hangouts. Southampton is by far the largest and so has the most interesting shopping. East Hampton is small but very high class. Sag Harbor would be a long ride when you only have one day, but is a very nice village. Montauk is not really part of the Hamptons, but it is a great place to visit.

Having lived here all my life I have never stayed in any of the hotels so I can't help you there, but if your one day is on a weekend make sure you have reservations in advance. Just be warned many of these roads out here have not been changed much in a century, and traffic in the summertime is not to be believed. So one day may not give you time to see much. Also remember this is the summer hangout for the rich and famous and for the people who wish they were rich and famous. Expect to pay accordingly

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
2. Re: One Day in the Hamptons

Many hotels/inns have a 2 night minimums on weekends and if it's a holiday weekend (first weekend in Sept) some require 3 nights. The Hamptons iare a long way from most places to go for just a day. Where will you be coming from? What kinds of things interest you (ie shopping, beach, history etc). budget?

Reply to: One Day in the Hamptons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oyster Bay