We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 2
Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

We will arrive to Amtrak Station Providence on November 27 (on Wednesday), around at Noon. I'am looking for a solution to travel from the train station to a Newport's hotel.

We are two people with one foldable wheelchair and one luggage.

I am very grateful for any suggestion.

Thanks

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 66
1. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

I would depart the train at the Kingston station which is closer to Newport. At that point, you can take the bus or a taxi. Since there are mobility issues, perhaps a taxi is the best option. I don't know the cost....maybe around $50

Exeter, Rhode Island
2. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

Are you taking the Acela?? If so, that only stops in Providence?

New York City, New...
3. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

We will travel by Amtrak. Would you recommend me a reasonable taxi cab Co. between Providence and Newport?

New York City, New...
4. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

We already have tickets to Providence. I would like to take a taxi, because of the bad weather. I don't know which taxi cab service works between Providence and Newport.

Edited: 10:05 am, November 23, 2013
New York City, New...
5. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

We take the Acela express.

Exeter, Rhode Island
6. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

The Acela really isn't worth it in this scenario.........much further from Providence to Newport and much more costly. Can you change your ticket?

Exeter, Rhode Island
7. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

<http://www.newport-discovery-guide.com/travel-to-newport.html#ByTrain>

Here's a link to the Newport Discovery Guide which gives you info on train travel and reaching Newport.

I use Amtrak all of the time for business and it is very easy to switch your ticket to the regular train. From NYC, you are only saving 5-10 minutes on the Acela since it cannot go fast on much of the northeast corridor.

If I had to do this, I would definitely get off at Kingston and have a car service waiting or use a taxi.

New York City, New...
8. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

I am happy with my train tickets, because of the bad weather. I travel with my disabled family member. I have no other solution as to order a taxi.Thank you for your answers

9. Re: Travel from Amtrak station Providence to Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 26, 2014