We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 13
Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

Hi - My husband and I are headed to Providence in late Sept./early Oct. for approx. 5 nights. I'm attending a conference and he's just coming along for fun. Any suggestions of what we should do in and around Providence? Should we do a night or two in another city/state? Thanks for any ideas!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 82
1. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

Great time of year to visit! There is a Waterfire lighting every Saturday night in late Sept/early Oct. Don't miss it!

Newport is beautiful and you should consider spending a couple of days there. See gonewport.com for a guide to that city. Briefly, you can tour a mansion, walk on Cliff Walk, drive scenic Ocean Drive, shop and dine, visit the wharves, get out on the harbor and try to figure out whose mega-yacht you're looking at by it's name.

Boston...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

Take a day trip to Newport, mystic ct and Boston. You can take the commuter rail to Boston. I don't think it is necessary to stay over in Boston but if you get a good rate, think about it.

When you take the commuter rail to Boston you'll want to get off at back bay. Work your way thru the back bay thru beacon hill, Faneuil hall, the north end and then the waterfront over to south station, where you catch the train back.

Mbta.com

3. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

Www.Nordiclodge.com if you want to pig out like there's no tomorrow.

It's in Charlestown.

Edited: 8:33 pm, May 26, 2013
Vancouver
4. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

I have no idea what a waterfire is but it sounds great! Thanks very much for the tips.

Vancouver
5. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

We are definitely going to do that! I wanted to focus on RI but it seems a shame not to visit Boston when it's so close - a commuter train trip is a perfect suggestion. Thanks!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 82
6. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

See waterfire.org for details. It's a beautiful way to spend an evening.

Ri's native cuisine is seafood and Italian. Federal Hill in Atwells Ave is lined with Italian restaurants, shops and bakeries. In Newport try the seafood.

warwick,ri
reviews: 15
7. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

Hi... you picked a great time of year to visit! Here are my tips.. If you are here over a weekend PLEASE check to see if Waterfire is going on. If so, make sure to see it, but start first with a wonderful dinner at one of the many restaurants in Federal Hill for premium Italian food. Andino's, Cassarino's, Venda Bar and Grille are 3 of my favorites. MAKE RESERVATIONS very early! There are restaurants in and around the Providence River area such as Ruth Chris, Flemings, One Waterplace, Jackie's and Cafe Nuovo.. all are walking distance.

Another day rent a car and head to the beach areas and then to Newport. RI is so small if you start early in the day and just go... you can see alot in one day. Have lunch and dinner in the Newport area. If its NOT a weekend you can pretty much walk into any restaurant without reservations. Take the MBTA T or the commuter rail from either downtown Providence or if you are near the airport the Interlink and head to Boston for the entire day. Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall, North End, Cambridge, Harvard Square, Science Museum or Museum of Fine Arts, take a scenic harbor cruise or tour Fenway Park... Just GO!!

You might want to take a day to just explore Providence. Maybe take the Block Island Ferry, rent bikes and enjoy the scenery. Of course this is ALL weather dependent... usually Oct. is beautiful here warm days, cool evenings.... enjoy!

Vancouver
8. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

Thank you so much! Those are awesome suggestions. I'm getting so excited about this trip now!

Rhode Island
reviews: 60
9. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

If you love history, there's tons of places to visit. I also recommend a trip to Prospect Terrance on top of College Hill. It has the best view of the city. I usually take visitors on a tour of Benefit Street to look at the old colonial homes. The John Brown House is beautiful. Farther afield, check out Linden Place in Bristol and walk around and browse the shops. Newport is always lovely and a day trip to Boston is a must. You could take a trip to New York. It's about 3 hours away.

Seekonk, MA
reviews: 2
10. Re: Headed to RI for first time in early October - suggestions?

There is enough in RI to keep you busy, I would also put Jamestown on your list