We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amherst...
reviews: 7
Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

I am planning on going to Newport Folk Fest this year over Sat and Sun. My boyfriend and I are grad students and so cannot spend a lot of money on lodging (the tickets themselves were a bit of a splurge). If we stayed in Providence, how easy would it be to get to Newport for the show? Can we do it without driving in and without breaking the bank? Thanks!!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
1. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

Buses run from Providence to Newport. See ripta.com for a schedule for the 60 bus. Then in Newport you can catch a water taxi from Perotti Park, a short walk from the Visitor's Center, over to Ft Adams. It won't be expensive but it will be time-consuming. Also Providence hotels are not really cheap.

You could stay in neighboring Middletown and save yourselves a couple of hours a day. The accomodations there are cheaper than Newport.

Amherst...
2. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

Thanks for the reply!! I guess I should clarify that it would be nice to spend $100 or less on a hotel. Is that even possible in the summertime?

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
3. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

Not near Newport and probably not in providence. I just checked on Travelocity and it looks like a lot of the hotels near the airport in warwick might work for you. Bus from there to Newport. Where are you coming from? Can't wait for be festival! Tix sold out so fast last year I missed out

Amherst...
4. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

We're driving down from Amherst Mass. We are also hoping to bring our bikes and bike into the festival (weather permitting). Maybe an airbnb place is our best bet, either in Providence or somewhere else nearby.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

There's a Town Place Suites in North Kingstown, much closer than Providence. If you're into camping that's always an option too. You can pitch a tent in Jamestown by the shore and ride bikes to the Ferry to Newport.

Edited: 9:18 pm, February 13, 2013
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
6. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

You can still get the Motel 6 in Newport for $125 a night. You could easily ride your bikes into town and it would save a lot of time from taking the bus. It's not the Ritz, but in the summer time it's mostly out of towners going to a wedding or a festival that stay there...

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
7. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

There is a campground at Melville in Middletown as well. You can find places to park in Newport and ride to the festival. Camping in Jamestown would be a great option. I wonder if there is a water taxi from there right to the fort?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
8. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

The Jamestown/Newport ferry does.

http://www.jamestownnewportferry.com/

They customize the schedule for the folk festival. Not only is it a lot easier than trying to drive in Newport but it's a beautiful ride as well. If you stay in Warwick, North Kingstown or the like, parking in Jamestown and taking the ferry to Ft Adams is a great idea.

9. Re: Stay in Providence for Newport Folk Fest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 17, 2014