We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location right outside of town?

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
America, The...
reviews: 51
Best location right outside of town?

We'll be staying in Providence for on a Sunday night in March to visit Brown on a Monday morning. We are considering staying at either an airport hotel or the Hampton Inn in Seekonk to get a rate lower than downtown rates and to avoid a $25 a day parking fee with our rental car. However, never having been to Providence, I don't know how bad your rush hour is on a Monday morning and if it would be worth staying downtown to avoid it.

Three questions:

1. Is either location better in terms of getting to Brown Monday morning, traffic-wise?

2. How much time should we allocate for getting to Brown during rush hour on a Monday from each location?

3. Should we stay downtown instead just to avoid rush hour? We'll be getting in too late to enjoy the city on Sunday. We'll be saving that for a future trip.

Thanks so much for the help!

Cranston,RI
reviews: 5
1. Re: Best location right outside of town?

The Providence Marriott, Wyndam Garden, and Old Court B&B have free parking. Downtown hotels are in walking distance to Brown. Closest is Hampton Inn and it has shuttle service.

Providence, RI
reviews: 36
2. Re: Best location right outside of town?

I suggest screening through the downtown hotels one more time. I aree with the previous response there are alot of sound choices downtown and I would suspect there are lots of deals to be had. I have never heard anyone complain about the Hampton Inn downtown and you are very close to Brown. Parking on the east side when classes are in session is going to be a challenge. To answer your question, Seekonk would be the easiest commute to Brown, you could actually stay on back roads and see very little commuter traffic. I would allow 45 minutes door to door, if things go perfectly it will take half that time.

America, The...
3. Re: Best location right outside of town?

Thanks so much for the quick responses! Fortunately traffic/parking-wise and unfortunately for other reasons, we will actually be visiting during Brown's spring break. Would that change anything as far as your recommendations? It sounds like you are both leaning toward staying downtown. I think we will save $50 if we stay in Seekonk vs. downtown, but didn't realize we'd have to allow as much as 45 minutes to be on the safe side. May not be worth it. We'll already have a long day of driving ahead of us that day because we're going to be ending up north of Portland after 2 college visits.

Providence, Rhode...
4. Re: Best location right outside of town?

Hello from the Visitors Bureau in Providence. If you are looking at Brown, want easy parking, a short commute and don't really want to stay downtown, your best choice is the Wyndham. Your second best choice is probably the Providence Marriott. Both have large parking lots. The Wyndham is on the East Side, where Brown is. The Marriott is on the edge of downtown and a quick ride up the hill to Brown. Warwick is another option and - while technically a little bit farther away - is an easier commute than Seekonk. I would say 30 minutes at most. I would pick a Warwick hotel right off the highway to save time. Maybe the Hilton Garden Inn or the Crowne Plaza. Spring Break should make parking around the University a little bit easier. For more information on the area, visit our website www.GoProvidence.com. Enjoy!

America, The...
5. Re: Best location right outside of town?

Thanks so much for all the great info! Very helpful and makes me wish we had more time to spend in Providence. Next trip!!

6. Re: Best location right outside of town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 13, 2014