We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 53
Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

Hello, i am taking amtrak from NYC to providence. Do i need to rent a car in providence to go around town? i am interested in seeing some of the historic sites. Is the public transportation very convenient ? is it easy to get around from amtrak station to downtown of providence? i will probably have 1.5 days in the town. what do you recommend to see? thanks very much.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
1. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

No car needed. In fact you would waste a lot of valuable time looking for parking. And paying for it, too!

The train station is conveniently located downtown. You can walk to several hotels from it. There is a good mass transit system in Providence. See ripta.com for schedules. There are also plenty of cabs. But if you stay at a downtown hotel you can walk to much of the best the city has to offer.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 53
2. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

wow. great! thanks for your helpful information.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

All the historic areas are walkable from downtown, and the station. If not, a quick cab ride will do.

4. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 08, 2014