We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
25 posts
81 reviews
Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

Hello, i am taking amtrak from NYC to providence. Do i need to rent a car in providence to go around town? i am interested in seeing some of the historic sites. Is the public transportation very convenient ? is it easy to get around from amtrak station to downtown of providence? i will probably have 1.5 days in the town. what do you recommend to see? thanks very much.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

No car needed. In fact you would waste a lot of valuable time looking for parking. And paying for it, too!

The train station is conveniently located downtown. You can walk to several hotels from it. There is a good mass transit system in Providence. See ripta.com for schedules. There are also plenty of cabs. But if you stay at a downtown hotel you can walk to much of the best the city has to offer.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
25 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

wow. great! thanks for your helpful information.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

All the historic areas are walkable from downtown, and the station. If not, a quick cab ride will do.

4. Re: Do i need to rent a car in Providence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 08, 2014