We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estes Park Rock

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Dimas...
reviews: 9
Estes Park Rock

This may sound like a silly question with all of the important itinerary questions I have already asked. A few years ago I came to Estes Park for a family reunion at the YMCA. We flew into Denver and then drove to Estes Park. We took pictures at a rock that says Estes Park on it and the views were beautiful. My husband will be with me this time and I want to stop there. We will be coming into town arriving from Mt. Rushmore through Big Thompson Canyon. We will depart leaving over the Peak to Peak. Are we going to pass this at any point or do we need to make a special attempt to drive by it? Thanks for your input.

Nederland, Colorado
reviews: 8
1. Re: Estes Park Rock

This rock? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EstesPark.jpg

It is along the drive coming from Boulder on US 36.

San Dimas...
2. Re: Estes Park Rock

Yes, that is it! Can someone tell me when departing from Estes Park, how far on US 36 is the location of this rock past where we would need to turn to head out over the Peak to Peak?

Is it doable to drive to it and then turn around and go back where we need to go?

Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
reviews: 6
3. Re: Estes Park Rock

Yes, it is definitely easy to get to this overlook on Hwy 36 from town. After you cross Lake Estes and start heading uphill, it is only something like 1 mile before you get there. From where Hwy 36 and Hwy 7 (which you will take for the Peak To Peak) junction you will only be adding a few miles overall.

San Dimas...
4. Re: Estes Park Rock

Thank you so much!! That is exactly the information I needed and was hoping to hear. We will go take our pictures and then turn around and head for home. 😊

Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
5. Re: Estes Park Rock

That's one thing I forgot to check out when I was in Estes Park a few years ago. I'm going again in December so this info is helpful to me as well. Although I bet the views are better in the spring and summer than in the winter.

Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
6. Re: Estes Park Rock

The views are awe inspiring year-round here in the Estes Valley!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
7. Re: Estes Park Rock

The views were amazingly gorgeous when I was there a few winters ago but RMNP was covered up in snow, which was beautiufl of course, but I'm guessing you get a whole new kind of beauty in the summer. Although most of the town itself had very little snow coverage so maybe this particular area wont either. Either way it's amazing.

florida
reviews: 83
8. Re: Estes Park Rock

By far the best view I have every seen from the rock was during December, 2010 over Christmas break. Coming back from a day in Boulder with the kids, the lighting, etc just happened to be perfect, and the mountains beyond Lumpy Ridge (Mummy Range??) were PERFECT. I've driven past the rock 100 times, and nothing caught my eye like that day, and my wife and kids were all blown away that day.

Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
9. Re: Estes Park Rock

Yep, plz, that is the Mummy Range. Mummy Mtn dominates from that angle, too.

That is the view that caught our eye as we passed through on our first trip through the Rockies over a decade ago. We went straight to the realtor, found a place to live and have never left. One of the best decisions I ever made!

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 42
10. Re: Estes Park Rock

Like Roy said, beautiful views are to be found year round. We finally made a winter trip last yer, and the views with the snow covered mountains were spectacular!!