We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield, IL
reviews: 23
Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

My family and I are considering a trip to RMNP in late April of next year. What type of weather can we expect? Will it be snowing? We will be driving, and I would like to avoid any weather that could make it difficult. Thank you!

Nederland, Colorado
reviews: 9
1. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

It could snow, but that is not typical weather for late April. Average temperatures would be in the 40s-50s. You will find most of the hiking trails to be snow-covered.

Personally, late April would not be my "pick" time to visit the Park. Trail Ridge Road doesn't open until late May. But it won't be crowded and you should have good wildlife viewing opportunities.

Loveland, Colorado
reviews: 28
2. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

Well, you never really know in Colorado what the weather is going to be like. Often, April is quite nice, with no snow, temps in the 40s and 50s etc. Or, it could snow, especially in the mountains. It's really hard to say!

The trails in the Park will be snow covered, so if you plan on doing some hiking, you will most likely need some snow shoes.

Southwest
reviews: 25
3. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

I agree, the weather particularly for the Western US States can be unpredictablable particularly for high elevations like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Snow and/or inclement weather seems to be later and later into Early Spring for most parts of the Western US.

Golden, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Denver
reviews: 34
4. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

April is the wettest month in most of northeast Colorado (check out the map on page 20 of this document : ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/pdfs/spring2001.pdf ), either rain or snow. Near the end of May is a better month to visit, IMHO.

Edited: 8:01 pm, January 03, 2010
Golden, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Denver
reviews: 34
5. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

I'm a little color blind - the map in my previous post shows May as the wettest month in NE colorado - but it is rain then, not snow.

Edited: 8:06 pm, January 03, 2010
Denver, CO
reviews: 40
6. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

April is really tough to predict. It could be 60 or it could snow. Trail Ridge Road will not be open and quite a few lakes will still have ice. April is great for snow shoeing as there will still be plenty of snow at Bear Lake but it won't be as cold as the dead of winter. April is hard to predict. I got married in Denver on April 24th and it snowed about 10 inches the day before. If that can happen in Denver, anything can happen in RMNP.

7. Re: Rocky Mountain National Park in late April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 06, 2010