We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
140 reviews
Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Visiting Albuquerque next month and looking for a place that has some decent beer. We will be staying near to Old Town and need a bar in that area. On previous visits to the US we have had great experiences - the only downside was rarely finding a good beer! Hope that you can help.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
787 posts
137 reviews
1. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Albuquerque has numerous brew pubs now and new ones seem to pop up all the time. Unfortunately, none of them are in Old Town, however. I am sure that you will find some local microbrews at bars in the Old Town area. The bar at the Hotel Albuquerque has Stone IPA and Fat Tire on tap and several microbrews in bottles. You can take a short cab ride to the Marble Brewing company, which is just north of the downtown area. It has excellent beer. Another fine local brewpub is La Cumbre and many local bars are carrying their beers.

Downtown Albuquerque has many bars and you will find microbrews at most of them. It is a short cab ride or a long walk from Old Town. Downtown can be pretty rowdy on weekend nights.

John

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
140 reviews
2. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Thanks John, made a note of all that. Don't mind a rowdy pub too much, but not sure my wife agrees!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
742 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Try La Cumbre Brewing Company. I have fallen in love with their IPA. Their website can tell you locations in ABQ.

http://www.lacumbrebrewing.com/

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
140 reviews
4. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Thanks whitecar - I'll look out for it. Jim

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
787 posts
137 reviews
5. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

La cumbre is excellent but it is in an odd location. You would have to drive there.

I forgot to mention, that you can take the bus, called Rapid Ride, that runs along Central (Old Route 66) that can take you downtown and to the Nob Hill area. Nob Hill is great for beer. There is Kelly's Brew Pub; Two Fools Tavern, which has lots of beers on tap; Il Vicino Pizza which brews its own beer, and the Tractor Brewing Company. There are also some nice places to eat in Nob Hill, which is just east of the University of New Mexico.

When I say rowdy, I mean that there can be fights and other problems as well as more panhandlers than in Nob Hill. Your wife will like Nob Hill.

You can google Albuquerque Rapid Ride for information on fares and schedule. Also google Albuquerque Nob Hill and you will find information about this area.

I don't go downtown much so I am not sure what is there these days for good beer. I much prefer Nob Hill.\

John

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
140 reviews
6. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Thanks very much John, you are a real asset to Albuquerque. I checked the bus that you suggested: $2 for the whole day sounds good. We may have to stay a bit longer in the Duke City. Regards, Jim

Edited: 3:51 pm, February 28, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
19,098 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Also check Season's in Old Town, fun Cantina area with good food and beer! http://seasonsabq.com/

I've been hearing some decent reviews of High Noon Restaurant and Saloon (but haven't been there in 20 years, lol maybe a visit is due) www.highnoonrestaurant.com/

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Downtown, go to Anodyne. It's a pool hall: very mellow, but they've got the largest beer selection I've ever seen in Albuquerque.

http://theanodyne.com/

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
140 reviews
9. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Thanks very much for the info'. The menus look good, although I am surprised that prices are high in comparison to London. Jim

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
140 reviews
10. Re: Decent Beer in Albuquerque

Even Milk Stout! I am going to like Albuquerque!