We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with a plan

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
geolforall
reviews: 1
need help with a plan

We are planning to visit new mexico in April to visit the Trinity site at White Sands on the open house day (April 6). We are flying in and out of Albuquerque and know we want to visit White Sand National Monument. What are other MUST DO things in New Mexico (we have about 5 days)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
1. Re: need help with a plan

If you want to immerse yourselves in other things "nuclear" The National Atomic museum is near the airport, on Kirtland AFB... Next day, drive up to Los Alamos where the device was built...Spend the night in Santa Fe... The night of the 5th, I suggest "confirmed"reservations in Alamogordo or Las Cruces... One could visit WS. NM. the day before...on the way down From ALB... After the big day, "Gordo" has some space related attractions... One then, should go on to Carlsbad Caverns NP for a day...Perhaps, spending a night soaking in the thermal waters in T or C on your ALB return drive... carracar

geolforall
2. Re: need help with a plan

thank you....let me ask...will I have to worry about snow in either Sante Fe or if we decide to go to Taos? I am from the south and we don't drive well in the snow

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
3. Re: need help with a plan

At higher elevation snow is possible even into May... I would be more concerned at the possibility of high winds and blowing dust... As "Gordo" will be the only place where lodging will be in short supply...Simply stay flexible when you hit the ground running... carracar

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 197
4. Re: need help with a plan

the very large array might interest you?

http://www.vla.nrao.edu/

New Mexico
reviews: 67
5. Re: need help with a plan

Glad you are visitng NM.....take a look at this website...it is fun and has a good road trip plan for NM.

http://www.takemytrip.com/06newmex/06_01a.htm

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
6. Re: need help with a plan

ugh, yes, Carracar! Those dust storms are nasty! Went thru one this past Nov. Visibility like a blizzard here. Not enjoyable.

Rochester, New York
7. Re: need help with a plan

We are planning a trip to New Mexico the first two weeks in May. I am overwhelmed at all of the choices.

I plan on seeing Sante Fe, Taos, and Albuquerque, but I want to spend time outdoors hiking and seeing the beautiful scenery also. Could I please have some recommendations? Also, what will the weather be like in early May? I am hoping to avoid dust storms and snow.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
8. Re: need help with a plan

http://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

be sure to do the Tsankawi section. My favorite spot and great hike

Another great hiking spot that we missed. Road was closed at the time:

blm.gov/nm/…kasha_katuwe_tent_rocks.html

Albuquerque
reviews: 30
9. Re: need help with a plan

Hi geolforall. Since you are going to be in the southeastern part of the state, seriously consider Carlsbad Caverns if you like geology. Its an amazing cave system, and you can go into several different caves if you plan it. This part of the state is remote. I think with the trinity site and the Caverns that would take up several days.

If you're interest is primarily geology, let me know and I can tell you about some other areas. New Mexico is a great state for rocks.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 428
10. Re: need help with a plan

enroute to white sands see if you can either inbound or return trip can include valley of the fires roadside park,,,it is on the maps and can be a nice stop tp stretch your legs enroute.

we just came back from the area, and I have written many reviews ...also visited 5 years ago and no reviews of that trip though...since NM is the 6th largest state I am reluncant to say to travel the roads, although every view is spectacular. depending on your age and how much you like to drive etc. enjoy your trip...monroes in ABQ is great for a wonderful affordable meal....enjoy!