We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$1 cab fare available for tourists?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 107
$1 cab fare available for tourists?

Noticed a DWI program offering $1 cab fares home in Santa Fe. Would tourists be able to use this program to get back to their hotels during the holiday season? Or is this only available for local residents?

abqjournal.com/main/2012/11/22/news/1-cab-ri…

Edited: 4:04 pm, November 22, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 34
1. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

Tourists can get as drunk as locals, possibly more so due to the 7000' elevation. This program is to cut down on DWI, so I doubt there will be an issue. I would plan on using this service if you are going to drink. Where is your hotel located most are just as close as many residences. If you want to know for sure, call the city.

Have a great visit and thank you for drinking responsibly and not driving.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
reviews: 37
2. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

You might check with AAA. In many places, they offer a "Tipsy Tow" service on New Years Eve. Read about it here:

http://bit.ly/ShRaZO

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
3. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

Albuquerque has tried various "don't drink and drive" plans in recent years. Those that offered a cab ride home (or hotel) had relatively short dates around the major holidays. From what I've read, because of demand, the wait time for these cabs was long....no LONG...if they showed up at all.

I would suggest any and all do your drinking "at" or as near as possible your hotel.

If any Albuquerqueans have updated information on free rides home from bars, please inform me and us! The internet sometimes only goes so far on providing the latest information.

New Mexico
reviews: 9
4. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

I would 2nd NM_Photojournalist...the wait can be very long on these holidays. I've only done this once in ABQ (number of years ago) and we waited for what seemed like an eternity for a cab..it was at least a couple of hours. After that, we just opted to shell out the $$$ for private transportation. These days I don't have to worry about it too much...my kiddos pretty much keep me home bound and in bed just about the time the parties start...LOL.

San Francisco...
reviews: 107
5. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

I guess you get what you pay for.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
6. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

The $1 cab ride home from a bar or party where alcohol is served is a permanent service the Santa Fe County DWI Program offers on Friday and Saturday nights. We are also expanding this service to New Year's Eve this year. Call Capital City Cabs at 438-0000 for a safe ride home. You can see more at: santafecountynm.gov/community_services/hhsd/…

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 55
7. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

Putting our bureaucrats offering in #6 into perspective for Santa Fe... As the number of drinks served to a infinite number of partying patrons must be compared to a finite number of cabs available... the reality,suggests one should imbibe within walking distance of ones lodging...carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 34
8. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

Thank you SF Co DWI for the information. Let's have a safe and happy NYE!

9. Re: $1 cab fare available for tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 01, 2014