We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Sky photography possible in late December?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Night Sky photography possible in late December?

I've done Googling for hours and I just need to ask a local at this point.

I'm planning on heading out to the middle of nowhere (Cuchillo - past Truth or Consequences) for a night of night sky photography - provided the weather is clear for only one night on the Thursday night before Christmas.

Is the sky usually clear at night or will it be likely I won't see anything due to nightly overcast? Or will I just have to watch the weather report and see like everyone else? :)

Being from LA, in winter we get nightly fog rolling in so you almost never see the sky in winter. Just wondering if there's a similar phenomena in the desert of NM such that I shouldn't even bother trying to do starry sky photography.

And no, I'm not worried about the cold. I'll be using digital rather than 35mm so that's not an issue.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: Night Sky photography possible in late December?

Sky is usually clear unless there is a storm. Impossible to tell how it will be. I was just outside (we live southeast of Santa Fe) and Orion was bright as can be!

Our weather is nothing like LA, so you do have a possibility of clear sky if the weather isn't bad.

New Mexico
reviews: 9
2. Re: Night Sky photography possible in late December?

The great thing about the desert is that skies are almost always clear...days are sunny and clear and nights are a sky full of stars. Exceptions being storms and fronts moving through the area.

We are high desert, so we do get snow and they've been saying we're supposed to get a fair amount this year (I'm still waiting). It's impossible to say whether we will have a front moving through or now...but barring that, you should have some great, clear night skies.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
reviews: 34
3. Re: Night Sky photography possible in late December?

No California fog. No inversion that I know of around there. Usually clear.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 115
4. Re: Night Sky photography possible in late December?

We recently returned from a day trip in northern NM, and were in awe of the night sky. We saw many more stars and constellations than we can see in central VA. I imagine the Dec. sky will be similar, unless, as already mentioned, there is a storm.

Have a great trip, alashas www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2southwest

5. Re: Night Sky photography possible in late December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 16, 2013