We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Albuquerque in December

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mission, Texas
Travel Albuquerque in December

I want to take my kids to New Mexico during the holidays. I need info as to where to go and what to do during december. We are from Texas and would like to see some snow as we have never had snow in South Texas.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
reviews: 32
1. Re: Travel Albuquerque in December

I can start you out with a general discussion. Many folks from South Texas head for Ruidoso in the southern part of the state. It's a nice mountain town with Ski Apache close by. Cloudcroft also gets lots of snow. It's near to Ruidosos.

Albuquerque may have snow but you could not count on snow during your trip. In the city, the snow doesn't last long. The Sandias at the edge of the city, however, get snow and you can access the mountain crest from the city side via the Tram. You can also drive around the east side of the mountains and access the scenic highway up to the crest (trails on the way can have snow, with sledding and cross country skiing) or stop half way up to the base of the ski basin. The Sandia ski basin typically has minimal snow conditions and better skiing is usually found further north. Depends on the year.

There's little precipitation around so far. Things can change any time, and I've heard some encouraging prognostications for lots of snow in the northern part of the New Mexico but we shall see. Typically more snow to be found in the mountains north of Albuquerque and skiers will head to such places as Santa Fe, Taos, Angel Fire, Red River and Sipapu. I think I have heard of some recent snowfall in the north mountains and southern Colorado, including Durango. Right now, really for the first time this season, we are getting lots of cold weather, making snow-making at the ski resorts very favorable and many are announcing openings around Thanksgiving.

A good snow fall could change everything and is quite possible before a December trip.

That's a start.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
2. Re: Travel Albuquerque in December

Ruidoso the community, and the Ski Apache area about 18 miles north of town, are popular year-round with Texans. Ruidoso's ski area, being the furthest south, seems to have almost feast or famine when it comes to snow though. It may be our most unpredictable ski area. Another possible negative is if you are not planning to drive, the nearest commercial airport is in El Paso, so the rental car would be 150 miles away or so. Southwest serves both El Paso, and the South Texas Valley however.

Driving is relatively easy with I-10 west to Fort Stockton, then north to Carlsbad, and Roswell, featuring Carlsbad Caverns and the UFO Museum as diversions at the latter two. From Roswell continue west to Ruidoso. Ruidoso has quite the selection restaurants, and many cabins...always fun!

For the most northern ski areas, travel north from Roswell to Vaughn, Santa Fe, and ? Santa Fe is perhaps the best for family skiing, and also offers much to see and do in this historic city when you are off the slopes. The Santa Fe Ski Area is about 9 miles from downtown Santa Fe.

If you are coming strictly to ski, both Angel Fire, and Red River are great for families, and close-by skiiing. Being the "Eastern-most" skiing facilities, they are also popular with Texans.

You can keep track of snowfalls at all of NM's ski areas at:

www.skinewmexico.com

Except for Ruidoso/Ski Apache, all flights to the ski areas of Northern New Mexico would be via the Albuquerque International Sunport, with rental vehicles beyond there.

Edited: 5:44 pm, November 13, 2012
3. Re: Travel Albuquerque in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, December 16, 2013