We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albuquerque to Phoenix in February.......what to expect

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melville
reviews: 8
Albuquerque to Phoenix in February.......what to expect

My wife and I are driving a 5 day loop from Phoenix/Tucson/Las Cruces/Albuquerque and back to Phoenix. Will there be any snow in the mountain passes in Feb. and what will the avg. temperature be?

Any "must see" stops on our itinerary? Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 34
1. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix in February.......what to expect

There are no real mountain passes between Abq and Phoenix. I40 can be a difficult drive if there is a storm, but usually the highway is cleared soon. Visit Petrified Forest NP, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix in February.......what to expect

Here's a site for Tucson. There's much to see and do:

http://www.mikepintucson.blogspot.nl/

East of Las Cruces you'll find White Sands NM. Unique place and check out La Mesilla when you are in Las Cruces. White Sands app is a 1 hour drive from Las Cruces.

Flagstaff is at 7000' (like Grand Canyon NP SR is) and there always can be snow in winter. Between Flagstaff and Phoenix you'll find scenic Sedona

www.visitsedona.com

5 days 'will be short for a trip like yours esp if you want to include Grand Canyon NP.

Tet

New Mexico
reviews: 9
3. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix in February.......what to expect

You'll likely not run into any adverse road conditions unless you're driving through or just after an active storm. The stretch of greatest concern would be Albuquerque to Flagstaff as they do get quite a bit of weather along that stretch. But like I said, if you're not driving through an active storm, you'll most likely be just fine as they do a good job of clearing the interstates.

As far as temps and the like, they are going to vary wildly. Phoenix and Tuscon should be very pleasant with highs approaching the low 70s and lows in the mid 40s. Southern NM, you can expect to be a bit cooler with highs in the 60s and lows right around freezing. Albuquerque you can expect highs in the 40s with lows in the upper 20s.

That said, anything can happen in February...I usually start getting my first inclings of spring fever as it is not uncommon to get a few "tease" days around here that time of year...only to be reminded a day later that yes, it is still indeed winter.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
reviews: 32
4. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix in February.......what to expect

Just to add. No mountain pass in NM on I40 going west from ABQ but the stretch from Grants to Gallup can be treacherous in the middle of and just after a winter storm. (Black ice or low visibility.) Interstate even closed some times. Flagstaff can get hit hard from winter storm and that is much higher up. (Grand Canyon can be absolutely beautiful after a fresh snowfall.) I know many people driving between ABQ and Phoenix take the route that goes through Show Low. I'd say that's a mountain pass for White Mountains. Nice town, sort of a gateway for some recreational areas and I'm sure that can get some snow with a winter storm. I've never taken route from Show Low continuing on to Phoenix so can't really advise for winter driving. Absent a winter storm (the forecasters can see the front moving in before it hits, so you can make alternative plans), you could have very pleasant temperatures with sunny skies along most of your route in southern AZ, southern NM and also ABQ and along I40, with big drops (20-30 degrees) at night. Sedona is beautiful but I've never been in winter. If you are in ABQ, you should consider Santa Fe, too. Santa Fe can have a bit more snow than ABQ, but again I think you only need to be concerned if there's a storm the day of or day before your trip. Driving conditions otherwise are typically very good. Except in the mountains, the snow is usually gone within a day.

5. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix in February.......what to expect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 26, 2013