We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Albuquerque to Las Vegas for Christmas

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Driving from Albuquerque to Las Vegas for Christmas

I have never driven west from Albuquerque except to Grants since I moved out here last year and was wondering what the road conditions would be like in the winter going further west. I wanted to drive to Las Vegas but due to high altitude would there be snow? If so, would the roads be dangerous to drive on?

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
reviews: 80
1. Re: Driving from Albuquerque to Las Vegas for Christmas

West of Grants, you go up some to cross the Continental Divide, between Grants and Gallup. It can get slippery and snow-packed from there all the way to the Arizona line. We drove that way one March and got into one of the worst storms we had ever seen. Arizona crews were out and cleaning pretty well, up to Flagstaff, where it got a bit treacherous. From Williams on it probably wouldnt be so bad. Overall, I would say just check the weather about a week ahead, and then GO!!.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
2. Re: Driving from Albuquerque to Las Vegas for Christmas

Timing is everything as they say. Bad storms are really pretty rare along I-40 west of Albuquerque, but, as Sandiaman said, "if" you get caught in one...Woe!

Flagstaff is at such a high altitude, almost an island above the surrounding terrain; very cold weather, and much snow is common, especially within thirty miles of the city in

all three directions.

Ditto to Sandiaman: Just keep up with the forecasts, and roll the dice! Hey, you're going to Vegas (NV) anyway aren't you? :-)

Edited: 11:35 am, November 05, 2012
3. Re: Driving from Albuquerque to Las Vegas for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 10, 2013