We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling From Albuquerque to Dallas

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
reviews: 26
Traveling From Albuquerque to Dallas

We will be traveling from Albuquerque to Dallas after Thanksgiving. We are thinking about going through Amarillo...but it doesn't look like there is much to do through that route. We have 2 small (8 and 5) children and hope to find little things along the way to see or do...any suggestions on small attractions or another suggestion on route to take? We would like to find a old ghost town or gold panning type thing, but are not sure it's the right area.

Thank you

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
1. Re: Traveling From Albuquerque to Dallas

I'm afraid you are in one of those situations that places you between a rock and a hard place. MapQuest would probably send you from Albuquerque to OKC on I-40, then south to Dallas on I-35. There is very little (that I know of) on that route for the kids, especially at their ages. McDonald's with the tubes and plastic balls would probably the highlight for them.

I've traveled Eastern NM, and North Texas/Southern OK pretty extensively over the years, and would recommend you take US287 up through Wichita Falls, to Amarillo. While this is not "Interstate," the entire route is 4-lane, and fast. With due respects to the people who live in the areas...there is little to see or do. My intention was always to make the best time through the area...to get where I'm going! You would need to visit the more mountainous areas in Northern New Mexico to find any ghost towns, or gold panning. Colorado has more to offer in that vein.

If you have an extra day to drive ABQ to D/FW, you might want to consider going south from Albuquerque and take in White Sands National Monument between Las Cruces and Alamogordo. Then travel the beautiful drive from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft at 9,000ft. elevation, and on east to Artesia through pine forests much of the way. Just north of Carlsbad is the Living Desert Zooilogical and Botanical State Park with animals and plants native to the region. Carlsbad Caverns is always something that children will remember forever. Five and eight could do the entire walk through, but you could also do 1/2 exploration, by either walking down to the deepest part, and ride the elevator up; or ride the elevator down, and tour the "Big Room." The first suggestion puts you closer to the formations, but time may be of the essence. Either way, perhaps an hour and a half for the shortened visits.

From Carlsbad, you travel south to Ft. Stockton, and I-20 to carry you east to Dallas.

Hopefully, someone may come up with things to do along the Albuquerque, Amarillo, Wichita Falls, Dallas route. You might try entering some of the towns you'd be traveling through on their forum pages, and click on the link "Things to Do." Have a safe trip!

Edited: 1:36 pm, October 31, 2012
Torrington...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque
reviews: 52
2. Re: Traveling From Albuquerque to Dallas

I did this same drive for Thanksgiving weekend a couple of years ago. I agree it's pretty sparse as far as things to do. We did make a stop at Palo Duro Canyon State Park, just south of Amarillo. I'd recommend that as a nice way to break up this trip by getting outdoors for a little exercise and seeing some nice scenery.

3. Re: Traveling From Albuquerque to Dallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 21, 2013