We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albuqerque Balloon Festival

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Egg Harbor City...
reviews: 102
Albuqerque Balloon Festival

I tried to submit my review of the Albuquerque Balloon Festival but it is not listed for me to do that so the best I can do is post my information here and hope it helps others who plan to visit. This is an annual event in Albuquerque. Some even say it is the largest in the South. This has been on my bucket list for I don't know how long and I finally got to go with some delay. The event is based on the winds, anything over 10 miles per hour and there is questions as to whether or not balloons can go up. And then you have to be prepared for un-expected things that happen beyond your control. The first day of the event got cancelled because the winds were to strong. Before going here are some helpful tips:

1. try and purchase your entry passes on lines-it will help when you get to the entry gates

2. if you are staying at hotels in the area be prepared to get up and drive to the fairgrounds (like at 4:30am). I know it sounds stupid but if you want to see all the balloons being blown up and see them take off this is why. You will either be sitting or standing (more standing then sitting as seating is limited umless you bring your own folding chairs)

3. if it is a chilly morning, make sure you have warm clothes on, you can always take them off if it gets warm

4. Bring a camera, this definitely is an even you want to remember

5. If you travel by car, depending on which direction you are going when you see the long lines of cars waiting to get off at exit 232 (if i remember correctly) you know you are at the right exit.

6. check with your hotel, they may offer shuttle service to the closest mall where you can pay to have another shuttle take you over tot he fairgrounds for a $20 fee per person. (to me it was cheaper to drive the car as i didn't wait that long to get tot he parking area)

7. remember where you park because there is so many people there

8. if you decide to go -the event is held the first week of Oct-book your hotel a year in advance as prices get expensive at it closest to the event. The reservations can always be cancelled if for some reason you can not make it.

9. After the balloon rise, don't forget to check out the wood craving contest that is done. It is awesome to watch cravings being done in a matter of 90 minutes. The items are then raffled off for a good cause.

10. Don't forget to check out all the tents that are selling the "arts" of the talented people from Albuquerque.

It's an memorable time and one worth considering

Kerens,Texas
reviews: 99
1. Re: Albuqerque Balloon Festival

Well, you did "post" but in the "Post, Texas" forum, not Albuquerque forum.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Midland, Austin
reviews: 8
2. Re: Albuqerque Balloon Festival

It wouldn't be the first time someone posted in Post!

BTW. I've seen part of the balloon festivile before. Not st the event but I was able to see some launches from my hotel window.

Pretty darn cool.

Massachusetts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
3. Re: Albuqerque Balloon Festival

Hi pretyblueye

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in our Post, Texas forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Albuquerque forum. Thanks for sharing your travel experiences with our Community!

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Edited: 11:14 am, October 21, 2012
OK
4. Re: Albuqerque Balloon Festival

Thanks for the trip report - glad you enjoyed the Balloon Fiesta.

You gave some very good tips for others: dress warmly and in layers; get there early; make hotel reservations very early; and be sure the camera is charged.

Just to be clear, the Fiesta always begins on the *first Saturday* of October.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
5. Re: Albuqerque Balloon Festival

I am glad you enjoyed the balloon fiesta! It would appear you learned your newbie lessons well. :-)

Thanks to TA_Jane for moving your "post" to the Albuquerque Forum!

This was my 29th consecutive Balloon Fiesta, and I never tire of our colorful spectacle...which it is! Can you imagine 500-plus hot-air balloons aloft at once? You have to be in the Balloon Park to fully appreciate the scene. Trivia: How large is the park to hold so many balloons? Over 50 football fields, all in beautiful green turf!

The fiesta does always run the first Saturday in October, through the second Sunday...with Mother Nature's cooperation. Always plan to attend at least three days of events, as that will almost guarantee getting to see "something" if the weather turns bad.

I hope everyone puts the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta on their Bucket List. There is so much else to see in Northern New Mexico aside from the fiesta, so one can keep quite busy.

I find it humorous that the "post," got in the "Post" Forum apparently.

We have a joke of our own here in New Mexico, as many post to the Las Vegas, New Mexico Forum, instead of Nevada, and cannot understand when they find information on Hoover Dam lacking. LOL.

Y'all come see us, and experience your own adventures in our very unique, "Land of Enchantment."

Edited: 4:57 pm, October 23, 2012
6. Re: Albuqerque Balloon Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 25, 2013