We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

We've done AZ 4 times and fancy ABQ and around next year. In AZ (particularly down south) we noticed a considerable drop off in hotel rates when it gets very hot and only mad dogs and us Englishmen are about. Is it the same in NM please. The airfare from UK is ridiculous now and we need to save a few pennies. As a secondary question (ignoring price) when is the nicest time to visit i.e not too crowded. Many thanks.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque, Santa Fe
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Northern New Mexico does not have the same kind of heat that you'll find in areas of AZ. This is largely due to the elevation. Albuquerque is about a mile high and Santa Fe and Taos are even higher.

The average temperature high in July, generally the hottest month, is 92F/33C (although record highs can go higher). Given the desert environment and lack of humidity, this can feel cooler (although as in AZ protect yourself from the sun!) due to the evaporative effect on the skin. At night temps tend to drop 20-30F/15C at night making for pleasant sleeping weather.

Here's a link to temps throughout the year in ABQ: itsatrip.org/albuquerque/weather/default.aspx

So summer is actually high season in Northern New Mexico along with the holidays at other times of the year. You'll either find lodging rates to be the same or even higher, especially in the case of B&B's. (One significant exception in ABQ is during the Balloon Fiesta in October when lodging rates are at their highest...by a lot.)

The general consensus is that May, September and October are the nicest months to visit. Quite frankly though, any month can be a good time. My own visits have been in February, March, June, July, August, November and December. Enjoyed them all.

I'm not sure that crowds are such a huge factor in NM although certain events (such as Indian Market in Santa Fe) can cause crowding in certain areas. (Also the aforementioned Balloon Fiesta causes a huge jump in ABQ.) I suppose that I've been there during so called crowded times, but it didn't seem to be an issue for me. Others will be able to answer this better.

Hope some of this helps.

Keith

Edited: 9:57 am, October 16, 2012
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Wow that was quick. Thank you so much. We normally visit AZ at the end of May (wife's birthday) so that fits. Thanks again.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

I would hope your first visit to the area would be for the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, which has just finished for 2012. It is annually held the first Saturday in October, through the second Sunday. This year over 500 hot-air balloons took part, including over 50 "special shapes."

I totally agree with Keith. Albuquerque, and northward, very rarely sees temperatures approaching 100F-plus. as is normal in El Paso, Tucson, or Phoenix.

July and August "usually" bring our so-called "Monsoon Season," where moisture comes up from the Gulf of Califonia. This is not Bangledesh however, just frequent afternoon showers usually.

May-June, and September-October are therefore primo. Christmas is another special time here also, especially for the skiers. The "Indian Market" in Santa Fe is also a huge event, but for the life of me I cannot remember exactly when that is right now.

The state is so large in size, trying to take in both Northern and Southern New Mexico attractions is a bit much unless you have a couple weeks to tour around. I would start with the Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos areas for your first experience. Santa Fe's sobriquet is "The City Different," and that can be said for the Northern New Mexico area as a whole. NM is unique among our 50 states, even compared to our neighboring Arizona.

Please do come for a visit, and find many "enchantments" of your own!

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque, Santa Fe
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

(Hey NM_Photojournalist - Indian Market is always in mid-late August. I think specifically the 3rd weekend as it was this year, the 18th-19th. Keith)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

So much information. Thanks both. You've been very helpful.

PS, a bit wary of Christmas. We went to Galveston one year thinking "gulf of Mexico, same latitude as Florida, nice and warm etc" and it snowed !!! We can get that in England.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
366 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Great advice from Keith and NM_Photo! I'll just add that snow is a distinct possibility in northern New Mexico in December, so that wouldn't be a good time to come if that is a concern. The end of May usually has wonderful weather. The heat hasn't generally ratcheted up to the levels of July and August, which in my opinion is not a good time to visit unless you like high temperatures coupled with the possibility of humidity. Keith is correct that the average temps in July are around 90---that means the highs are frequently in the high 90's with temperatures dropping into the 70's at night. It's hot, which for most people limits what they feel like doing during the heat of the day.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Thank you kind sir, much appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Right, there is no real "heat" in Northern NM the way there is in AZ. I live in New York City and come to Santa Fe every summer to cool off! There is also very little humidity in NM so it is rather pleasant.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Thanks, time to start planning. You're all very kind.

Taos, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
608 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Do hotel rates drop off due to heat.

Penny pinching times for Northern New Mexico lodging are November (shoulder season after High Season and before Winter Holidays) and January (after the Winter Holidays).

Some folks have some kind of fear that winter is somehow too brutal here, but we grew up and spent the first part of our lives in the southern-most U.S. and believe that Winter here is spectacular. "Embrace the climate you're in" is one of the best pieces of advice we received and we're very, very happy here in January.

Spectacular azure blue skies for weeks at a time. . .