We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Mexico Mexican

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tucson
reviews: 34
New Mexico Mexican

We have lots of good Mexican food here in Tucson. But only one New Mexican style Mexican. I'm thinking green chile stew and the like. Any suggestion for a place to stop when we come through ALBQ in September?

Albuquerque
reviews: 22
1. Re: New Mexico Mexican

Any of the Garcia's restaurants has excellent New Mexican food. Also try Sadie's on north 4th street. Some people knock Sadie's as unhealthy, but hey, if cheese and sopapillas are involved, of course it's unhealth, but is genuine New Mexican food. If you want healthy go to a salad bar. For the real deal, go to the Frontier restaurant across the street from UNM, it has the best breakfast burrito in Burque. Be warned, New Mexican food from New Mexico is not like anything in any other state. New Mexican food is unique to New Mexico. Be safe!!

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
2. Re: New Mexico Mexican

In Old Town you might try Little Anitas at the NW corner of OT (Rio Grande Blvd. @ Mountain Road corner), or the Church Cafe on the little street behind the church on OT Plaza. (The atmosphere is very nice, and you may eat either on front and rear patios, or inside. Service is a little slow, but you don't mind.)

Other restaurants with good reputations would include Las Cuates on Menaul Blvd.; Monroes on Ozuna near San Mateo/I-25; El Pinto in the far north valley on 4th St.; and Weck's, which although they are not "New Mexican" food exclusively, have huge servings of both American and New Mexican for both Breakfast and Lunch. Green chile stew, and Green Chili Cheeseburgers are both favorites of mine too.

tucson
reviews: 34
3. Re: New Mexico Mexican

Excellent tips, Arthur and NM. As fate would have it, I think we can sneak in a little of the Hatch Chile Festival on the way up to ALBQ and get TWO NM style meals. Who could ask for more? Our Sonoran Mexican is good, but we never miss an opportunity to try different Mexican approaches. Thanks again, Janet

Albuquerque, New...
4. Re: New Mexico Mexican

Little Anita's is awful. Don't go there. Its the Chile's of New Mexican Food. Garcia's is OK, but its like the McDonalds of New Mexican food: cheap, fast, and so-so flavor wise.

The real question you want to ask yourself is this: What type of restaurant experience do I want? Once you answer that, I have some picks for you.

Hole in the wall: Try Padilla's Mexican Restaurant, off of Girard and Indian School. Food like Grandma's, in a small family-owned place that hasn't changed decor or quality in 20 years. Don't go during lunch hour or you'll spend time waiting in a line that stretches out the door.

Modern Cantina: Sadies is your best bet. Hot chile, very famous salsa, and some of the best margaritas in town. A little pricey, but its on every New Mexican's short list.

Cheap and Amazing- El Modelo. Hands down, the best tamales anyone's ever had. You could feed your whole fam and still have money to grab a dozen tamales for the ride home. The tostadas are to die for.

People watching spot- The Frontier, located across the street from UNM on Central, or as non-Burquenos call it, Route 66. Best tortillas in the state. Have a breakfast burryito smothered in the hot house salsa.

There you go! Have a good time here.

Albuquerque
5. Re: New Mexico Mexican

Slow down Eric G. Don't try to be the "expert" on NM comida. We have a Little Anita's up here on the west side and many a Hispano family thoroughly enjoy the place. That many "locals" can't be that far off the mark. AND, I cannot believe you gave up El Modelo!! That is a Albuquerque closely guarded secret. Dios mio, I hope the Texans don't find out about it. They will invade NM just to get the combo plate!!! All kidding aside Eric, respect others opinions, and they will surely respect yours. Adios amigo

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque, Santa Fe
reviews: 132
6. Re: New Mexico Mexican

Now you've done it! I knew nothing about El Modelo. MUST check it out now. (I do assure you that I'm not from Texas.)

And in the interest of helping others...

http://www.elmodelomexicanfoods.com/

;-)

Keith

Albuquerque
7. Re: New Mexico Mexican

Keith my man!!! My brother and I discovered El Modelo in 1979 when we were poor starving students at UNM. We would walk there from the UNM area with $5.00 and eat like kings!! It is just east around the corner from the Hispanic Cultural Center. No inside eating (outside tables on both sides of the place). The mix of customers is amazing, working people, suits, and "everyone is giddy to be in line". The sopapillas are the size of a hubcap and the tamales as Eric said are gigantic. That is no stretch. I go there every Friday with my basenji and as we did so many years ago, "eat like a king". Adios mi amigo

New Orleans...
reviews: 83
8. Re: New Mexico Mexican

Padilla's was recommended to me by a great chef, but alas, it is closed on both Saturday and Sunday.

9. Re: New Mexico Mexican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 15, 2013