We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, NM
reviews: 51
Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

Hello, I'd like very much to buy one of those Storyteller figures made by artisans in the Pueblos. They are clay figures of a woman with her mouth open in a sort of "Oh", usually with lots of little children in her arms and climbing all over her. Didn't find anything at the IPCC. Does anyone know of any shops that definitely carry those at a reasonable price? (I know there are lovely signed ones in high-end places for $100 and over, but I just can't afford those.) Thanks for your help.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 33
1. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

They are called Storytellers, made by many Pueblo potters. That is about the price for original, native made Storytellers. You could get a cheap, Chinese knock off, but why??? We have put many pieces on layaway. I'm not sure how much cheaper they are, but check Agape Pottery in Old Town. http://www.agapesw.com/ We have purchased many pieces there.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
reviews: 37
2. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

You may want to check out Skip Maisel's, on Central Ave. Downtown. See:

www.skip-maisels.com

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
reviews: 32
3. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

Yeah, you don't want to get the knock-offs. I've had some luck at Palms Trading Co. on Lomas between Old Town and downtown. And I've always been impressed with Wright's on Lomas further up near San Mateo. Don't know that you can find an authentic one under $100 but I've bought small ones from the vendors in the plazas years ago.

Edited: 1:11 pm, October 23, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
4. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

Check also the gift shop of Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. You might call in advance, they can say if they're in stock, maybe even order some.

http://www.indianpueblo.org/

http://shumakolowa.com/cart.html

Charlottesville...
reviews: 115
5. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

The other place where you might have good luck at reasonable prices is the Native American vendors program at the plaza in Santa Fe in front of the Palace of the Governors. We've gotten some nice pottery, and jewelry there, including story tellers, made by Natives. You can often negotiate on the price, esp. if you purchase several items from them.

Good luck, alashas www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2southwest

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
6. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

Authentic, Native American pottery, and jewelry commands substantial prices. Storytellers, by the best potters, such as Stella Teller of Isleta Pueblo can fetch over $1,000. Storytellers from Isleta, and Acoma are among the most sought after.

Storytellers by Navajo craftsmen seem to bring lower prices. There is a shop in Old Town that specializes in Navajo work....but I cannot remember the name. Walk east from the northeast corner of Old Town Plaza about 100ft to a passage-way in the first building. The shop is the last shop on the left before exiting this building for the next.

If you find Storytellers under $100, they are probably made in Asia or Mexico. The latter may be made by "Indians," but they are for the tourist trade, and not as collectibles. Good hunting! If someone finds a discount store for authentic pottery in Albuquerque, I would like to know also, so as to add to my small collection.

Plano, Texas
7. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

I am looking for the value of a "Storyteller" figurine. The

figure is 6 1/2" tall and has 8 children. Markings on bottom:

P.R. Tosa JEMEZ. Can you help me?

ellenlee023@gmail.com

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 33
8. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

You may want to contact one of the Museums in Santa Fe. They may have more information.

9. Re: Where to buy a traditional Pueblo "Storyteller" figurine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 21, 2013