We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off-roading in Northern NM?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
reviews: 17
Off-roading in Northern NM?

My husband and I will be in Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta in Oct., and we’re also planning to spend a few days in Santa Fe and Taos. We recently made a reservation for a car and specifically reserved a four-wheel-drive vehicle since we thought there might be some good off-road opportunities along the way or close by. Can anyone suggest any good off-road areas in the ABQ/SF/Taos vicinity?

Thanks in advance!

ABQ
1. Re: Off-roading in Northern NM?

There are some good trails all over !

A really nice drive for a stock SUV / pickup would be the placitas road around the back side of the sandias.

To get there ,

Travel north out of ABQ , about 10 min past the balloon fiesta park . Take the second Bernallio exit (bern / placitas) and turn right at the light . Just follow that road till it turns to dirt , you'll see a small stream off the the side , and a few little pull over spots . A little more toward the top and you'll see some great views of the valley.

When you arrive at the end of the dirt road you can go right on the paved road to the Peak of the Sandia's. Nice view of the city !!

Turning left takes you back down the other side of the moutons into the Edgewood area, and eventually to I40 .

If you need some more ideas , just reply with an email address !

I'm also from the east coast (pa) and was amazed when I first got out here !

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Off-roading in Northern NM?

Hi DrunkenJesus (?) and welcome to the forum. You don't need an emailaddress to give private info but you can use TA's message board. Go to "my tripadvisor" at the righthandupper side of the page and hit: "messages"

Good luck.

Tet

reviews: 37
3. Re: Off-roading in Northern NM?

The Jemez Mountains have a lot of great off/dirt roads that you can travel on. You might also enjoy a trip to Tent Rocks National Monument. There are also some roads on the back side of the Sandia Mountains as well as Placitas.

4. Re: Off-roading in Northern NM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 am, September 04, 2009