We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

Which Corpus Christi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waco, Texas
Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to corpus in about 2 weeks and have decided to camp on the beach (tent, not RV) instead of wasting money on a hotel. What beaches offer secluded areas that will not be campsite on top of campsite? Are you able to build a fire? Are there any cabins or screened cemented areas to rent out? Just any ideas for a romantic get away for a few days!?

19 replies to this topic
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
reviews: 62
1. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

I think your best bet would be to camp in the National Park.

www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/index.htm

Fires are permitted in fully contained barbecue grills at designated sites.

Edited: 10:11 am, February 21, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 53
2. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

Gehrig,

I got a question. Can one camp anywhere on the beach in Port A? Obviously there'd be no facilities except what you bring.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
3. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

Octoboy,

I really am not sure. I know the 5 mile stretch of beach that is part of Mustang Island State Park camping is allowed but that is on the end opposite Port Aransas.

I'm not much of a beach person nor does my family do the camping thing.

I'll see what I can find out.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
4. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

Octoboy,

Sorry this took so long.

From what I could find you need a beach parking permit for the beaches from marker 0 to marker 62. RV, tent and other types of camping are permitted on the beach. There is a three night limit for camping during any three week period. Small fires no larger than 3 ft. x 3 ft. are permitted on the beach.

Corpus Christi...
5. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

Have you made that trip yet. Have plenty of experience camping on the beach.

Dickinson, Texas
6. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

I'm looking at camping on the beach this August, enlighten me :)

7. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

I want to know how much it will cost for a tent for a few months on the beach will cost.I'm Jeff you can get ahold of me at wc_choppers2011@yahoo.com

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
8. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

You cannot pitch a tent and "live" on the beach for a few months. The beaches are patrolled and you are limited to how long you can stay, generally 3 nights.

You can stay a bit longer in the Padre Island National Seashore, from their website:

A14-day camping limit is in effect at all camping areas. At the end of 14 days of camping anywhere in the park, campers must vacate their site and leave the park for a minimum of 48 hours before returning to camp. The total number of days spent camping in the park should not exceed 56 calendar days per year, in any combination of visits or consecutive nights.

You must get a permit and different campgrounds within the park charge different nightly fees for camping. The least expensive is $5 and most is $8, I believe. You may get these fees waived with an annual pass but I am not sure...call the park service for specific information.

nps.gov/pais/…feesandreservations.htm

Corpus Christi...
reviews: 5
9. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

pfft. cruise past the sign that says "beach maintenance ends here" and no ones gonna mess with you. I would suggest buying the 12$ beach parking pass though, they're pretty strict about that. After you get to the beach on Padre Island from Flour Bluff, 1st left at the light, turn onto the beach, and just keep riding. Hope you gotta 4x4!

Dallas, Texas
10. Re: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?

When you say left at the 1st light, do you happen to know a street name? I will be down there this weekend and would love to find this place!

Reply to: Beach Camping in Corpus Christi Texas tips, ideas, places?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted