We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SLC conference then what?

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
SLC conference then what?

Hello SLC and General Utah experts,

I'm traveling with my husband mid October to SLC for a conference and would like to take a week to see the area. We thought it might be fun to stay on a working Dude ranch for a couple of days ( after all we're Canadian eh )

And do some hiking. We have never been to the area and have about a week. We need to be up to Vanouver afterwards and was thinking of flying to Portland on the way. So does that mean we should stay in the north? We could really use some advice as to what not to miss and what part of Utah to check out. We can rent a car for the week until we need to fly out. I thought the Rockin R Ranch looked fun but that's south. Seems like distance are far by car. Is it worth driving down to the Grand Canyon? We've never seen it.

Too much to see......so little time

Thanks

Shellbell

14 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: SLC conference then what?

Hi Shellbell, welcome out west. I had to look up what the term Dude Ranch meant. And it turns out I've been to one in Utah called Zion Ponderosa, though I don't remember it being a working ranch with cattle. I did do a horseback ride though. Was a great place with friendly staff and lots to do.

Can't really help you anymore on that front. The one you have listed is in Antimony which is in between Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef, about 3 1/2 hours south of SLC. Both areas could be explored in the time you have allotted, as well as Zion National Park. Again it all depends on how much driving you would like to do and if you want to be on the go.

If you choose to stay in Salt Lake, there is a bison round up on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake in October, which would be worth participating. It's about an hour from downtown SLC.

…utah.gov/park/events/27th-annual-bison-roun…

sltrib.com/sltrib/outdoors/56309401-117/buck…

Salt Lake in mid-late October is the shoulder season. Most of the fall colors be gone and the mountains probably won't have much snow except for the higher elevations, so skiing isn't a likely option. It might be the ugliest time of the year, to see the mountains until they are blanketed in white. Having said that, you could spend a week hiking in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon and others nearby, if you are into that. Park City is 30 minutes away and you could spend a couple of days up there too.

Here are a couple of event calendars you can adjust the filters and see if anything of interest is going on while you're here.

http://events.cityweekly.net

http://www.visitsaltlake.com/events/

I might go down to Southern Utah's National Parks and the dude ranch for 4-5 days and then spend 2-3 in Salt Lake/ Park City.

Look at some photos of the places, maps and drive times, and see what is of interest and in your budget and a more concise itinerary can be sculpted.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
2. Re: SLC conference then what?

Southern Utah will be considerably warmer during the day, and the national parks have great hikes of any length and ability level and some of the most spectacular and unique views in the world.

Ottawa, Canada
3. Re: SLC conference then what?

Because of the conference we're stuck with the dates. So maybe we will concentrate on the southern area. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out that other ranch. I think it would be a lot of fun. Should we save Portland for another time?

Thanks for your input.

Shellbell

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 86
4. Re: SLC conference then what?

If Portland would be included in the week time frame I would leave it out. There is plenty to see in Utah that is so unique.

Rent a car and head to Southern Utah. Drive time from SLC wouldn't be longer than 4-5 hrs. Here is one option:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k43369…

Another would be to head down I-15 and visit both Zion and Bryce National Parks then head up hwy 12 to Torrey and see Capitol Reef on the way back.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
5. Re: SLC conference then what?

There is plenty to keep you busy and entertained for a week in Utah. I wouldn't use that time to go to Portland. Salt Lake will have great hiking, mountain views and lakes, shopping at City Creek and Gateway, several museums and historical features, Park City, Snowbird tram, great food, etc.

And then in Southern Utah you could literally spend the entire week just at Zion National Park or Moab alone. You'll likely hit fall colors in their peak in Southern Utah and will have day time temps of 70 degrees in many areas, to go along with the amazing geological features. Kbec gave a good recommendation for visiting Zion, Bryce and then taking Scenic Byway 12 to Capitol Reef before coming back to Salt Lake for a day or two.

Ottawa, Canada
6. Re: SLC conference then what?

That makes sense. Probably we should focus on the southern part. Any hotel recommendations? Maybe somewhere halfway from Salt Lake City?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
7. Re: SLC conference then what?

You could stay at the place you first mentioned for a couple of nights.

About half way from SLC to Zion would be the towns of Fillmore or Beaver.

Or you could do something like this...

Day 1) Stay at Hotel Monaco, Grand America, Hyatt Gateway, or Marriott City Creek and explore Salt Lake sites: Temple Square, City Creek Center, Snowbird Tram.

Day 2) Visit Utah Olympic Park, Park City Main Street, go over Guardsman Pass to Big Cottonwood Canyon and walk around Silver Lake or hike to Twin Lakes if time and weather permit.

Day 3) Early morning drive to Zion and stay in desired lodging in Springdale. Explore Zion.

Day 4) More hikes in Zion www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/allhikes.cfm.

Day 5) Drive to Bryce and stay at Ruby's.

Day 6) Watch sunrise at Bryce then do some hiking and exploring Scenic Byway 12. Stay night in Torrey.

Day 7) Explore Capitol Reef and drive back to SLC before sundown.

Day 8) Depart to Vancouver.

If needed to trim some time you could just drive straight through highway 12 and see Capitol Reef that same day. You could shave a night at Zion too, I suppose, leaving for Bryce in enough time to arrive a couple of hours before dusk.

Ottawa, Canada
8. Re: SLC conference then what?

Excellent! That sounds great. You guys rock! Is that because you live in Utah and you're surrounded by rocks? Ok. That was bad I know.

Sounds like a great itinerary. Thanks so much. Can't wait to get there.

Regards

Shellbell

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
9. Re: SLC conference then what?

Haha I love it. You must be in marketing or just funny. I've actually seen a t-shirt in Moab that says Utah Rocks and it has pictures of different rock formations like Delicate Arch and Thor's Hammer.

I can fill you in on some restaurants and bars when you know where your hotel is located in Salt Lake.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 5
10. Re: SLC conference then what?

Well....I'm just funny. I might have to get that T shirt!

But truth is, I'm not much of a uber hiker so I'm hoping that I won't tire of a week of hiking in and on those rocks. Guess if we stay a couple of days on a ranch and maybe a spa then it won't be so bad. And also our few days in SLC. So probably the week will fly by. I welcome your restaurant and bar recommendations.

Thinking of staying at the Klimpton but it's far from the conference which is on Towne Ridge Prkwy.

Reply to: SLC conference then what?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted