We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan rental

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
reviews: 2
Campervan rental

Hello all.

We will be flying in to SLC mid June to go up to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone parks.

We are looking to rent a campervan for the trip. We do not want an all singing, all dancing, Taj Mahal on wheels. All we really want is a bed and refrigerator.

What companies are there out of SLC that rent out very basic vans?

Thanks

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: Campervan rental

Of the big rental outfits, Cruise America seems to have some 19 footers in their fleet that they call their compact model.

cruiseamerica.com/rent/…compact_rv.aspx

I've seen a few of these running around, but unfortunately, they rent out of LA and Vegas.They are pretty functional, if you can get past the Barney the Dinosaur color scheme.You can sleep in the penthouse on the roof.

www.jucyrentals.com/vehicles/jucy-champ.aspx

2. Re: Campervan rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, September 28, 2014
Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 59
3. Re: Campervan rental

How low are you willing to go? I followed a Wicked Camper down Main Street, Moab this afternoon and saw another in Canyonlands Island in the Sky back in December (Kiwi renters). The graffiti on the vans really is very tame over here, so maybe the vehicle quality is a little higher.

Then again I saw this Wicked Camper near Wangi Falls last December as well;

flickr.com/photos/…

Food for thought.

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 60
4. Re: Campervan rental

You could check out Hugh's RV in North Salt Lake. They can be reached at 801-936-0168 or scott@hughesrv.com. I would recommend flying into Salt Lake, staying at either the Best Western Plus CottonTree Inn - North Salt Lake or Hampton Inn Salt Lake City- North. Both hotels offer free airport shuttle as well as shuttle service to Hugh's RV- Budget rental in North Salt Lake.

Fairbanks
5. Re: Campervan rental

I highly recommend basecampervans.com. I recently took a trip to Utah's west desert in one of their CNG vehicles. The van was comfortable and affordable and had full electrical just like an RV, but was far more practical for back-road traveling. We filled the CNG tank for less than twelve dollars and it lasted the whole round trip from Salt Lake City. There was plenty of room for dogs and a ton of gear. The ride was smooth, but the van had lots of ground clearance and tires with an aggressive tread. The proprietors were friendly and accommodating--they even picked me up at the airport. I hope I get a chance to rent one of their vans for another trip soon.

-NorthernTraveler

6. Re: Campervan rental

I just took a trip with basecamper vans. It was epic. Cheap, reliable, tons of space for gear and sleep. They do not attract as much attention as an RV or pop up so with a little creativity I could camp almost anywhere. Plus, Matt and Jen were very organized and helpful. They knew the area and had information on many destinations for climbing, biking and skiing. I highly recommend basecamper! Thanks guys!

San Francisco...
reviews: 51
7. Re: Campervan rental

I would agree with this post, Basecampervans is a great company, their vans run on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), as well as regular gas just in case you are unable to find a CNG fill-up station (btw there are tons of apps for smartphone that will help you find a CNG fill up location). CNG is great because its better for the economy, and it will cost you less money than gas for your trip. Also the couple (Matt and Jenn) that run Basecamper are so nice and accommodating, they will help you with your trip planning (they know all the good spots) through out the west, will recommend places to go based on your interests. If you don't have cooking equipment, sleeping bags, bike racks, etc, they are able to provide all of those additional amenities for you as well.

In terms of the setup of the vans, a bed setup with clean sheets is available. There is a solar panel on the roof, linked to a battery inside that can store your power, so in the summer if its hot, you can run fans, charge equipment, phone, or in the winter run a heater. I rented a van for a trip to telluride over the summer and I had a dog with me, so when I went on an adventure and was unable to bring my dog, I was able to leave him comfortably in the van, and run the fan so he would not overheat.

The van has an amazing setup and Matt provides great customer service (he knows so much about the area---climbing,sking, mountain biking, ice climbing), I would definitely rent a Basecampervan on my next long adventure.

Asheville, North...
8. Re: Campervan rental

I agree with all the above posts about Basecamper Vans in SLC. My wife and I had a blast touring UT in their van. They are cheap to drive with CNG and they come equipped with everything needed for road tripping/camping. Matt and Jen are awesome and a pleasure to do business with. Highly recommended!

Tel Aviv
reviews: 7
9. Re: Campervan rental

Jumping in here to give another super warm recommendation to http://www.basecampervans.com/!

We just returned from an 18 day trip with one of their vans and it was outstanding. The vehicle (Chevy Express 1500) is new, clean, super packed with everything you need, comfy bed and a GREAT value. The car handled the trip extremely well and was simply perfect. We're not fans of big clunky RV's and prefer a more low-key trip, this is just perfect for this.

Matt was awesome, pick up and drop off were a breeze + some key pointers and advice on the area. Couldn't ask for more.

If they have a van available, take it. Don't think twice!

Ariel&Dana

10. Re: Campervan rental

Planning on hiring a vehicle for the Burning Man? Forget the Cruise America type companies and hire via Matt and Jen. They add the personal touch, go above and beyond with queries and really help you out! We searched for hours to find the perfect vehicle for the Burning Man. Matt even helped us out with bikes for the event. We travelled from the UK and Australia for the event so having the right RV was crucial. We drove for miles and went to Lake Tahoe upon Matt's recommendation. The RV was clean, tidy, full of all the kitchen essentials we needed and the perfect size for us both. It was comfy and we felt super safe wether we were on a street in Reno or up in the wilderness of Angel Creek. We had everything we needed on wheels and more. Contact Matt matt@basecampervans.com for a burning red hot rental! We loved it thanks again guys :)