We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re cheap mobile phone or sim for family from Australia

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 40
Re cheap mobile phone or sim for family from Australia

Hi all and thank u for any help you can give me I asked this in the Utah forum but no replies so fingers crossed someone can help me hear. Thank you fi you can again.. We are flying in to SLC next Friday night and plane to send Saturday looking around before late afternoon drive towards Yellowstone but not booked in until Sunday. Anyway my question is we would like to get a mobile for hubby and one for myself. We will have our Samsung galaxys from Australia unlocked. But not sure if it is best to get sims for these or just buy cheap phones with pre paid. We will be going to florida Quebec and buffalo after so would like them to be able to work there if possible. The phones won't get used a great deal more for hubby and I to contact each other if we go off with kids to do other things and to ring home to Australia sometimes. Thanks all.

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 59
1. Re: Re cheap mobile phone or sim for family from Australia

We've succesfully used the NET10 phones from Walmart in the past but never tried to put a US sim in our Australian phones (never had a phone long enough to get it unlocked).

More recently we've just used our Australian phones sparingly and paid the roaming charges as that's simplest and easiest. If they got used a lot it would get expensive but for short, urgent calls or TXT's the few charges we make are less than buying another cheap phone.

Note I'm only referring to calls and TXT not roaming data, that's another story altogether.

Israel
reviews: 3
2. Re: Re cheap mobile phone or sim for family from Australia

AT&T and T-mobile offer sim cards with unlimited phone calls, internet, and sms in the USA for about $50, or worldwide for about $10 or $20 more, for one month.

Their sim card worked on our phone from home.

They also offer a pay by the minute option, which is also suitable for tourists, about 10 cents a minute.

We used one AT&T and one T-mobile, and AT&T had better coverage than T-mobile in the national parks in California.

T-mobile internet is very slow if you don't have a compatible phone.

We didn't use AT&T internet, so can't comment on that.

Edited: 4:58 am, September 09, 2012
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
3. Re: Re cheap mobile phone or sim for family from Australia

Between the two, AT&T is probably preferable over T-Mobile, which uses a different frequency for its high speed data in the USA. Both are readily available at phone stores. If that doesn't work, prepaid phones are plentiful in any big retail or electronics store. Walmart, Target, etc. are common and you won't have a problem finding one in SLC.

Given that you don't have a Yellowstone booking until Sunday, come up and visit Park City for the weekend - nice mountain resort village just 35-45 minutes from SLC and a good launching pad for Yellowstone, especially if you're going in via Grand Teton/Jackson.

Have fun.

4. Re: Re cheap mobile phone or sim for family from Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 01, 2013