We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

Which Port Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mill Bay, Canada
Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

We are leaving on March 5th from Port Angeles all the way to Palm Springs on the I5.We have never done this before and plan to stay 2-3 nights along the way (thought 1st night in Eugene and the second night in Stockton). Any suggestions?

9 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
1. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

In answer to the title of your post: yes. We frequently get snow at or near sea level in early March.

I could not figure what you were asking in the body of your post.

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
2. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

I'm not too clear on your post, either, other than the snow part. If you are asking where to spend the 2 nights between Port Angeles and Palm Springs, my advice is just to drive, and around 3-4pm start looking for a place to stay. Get up the next morning around 6:00am and start over again. No big deal. Chuck.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
3. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

I would be concerned with the weather conditions at Siskiyou Pass near the Oregon/California border. Check the weather forecast closer to your planned travel dates. tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp…

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
4. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

I agree if I understand your post, the Siskiyou's is where I would worry the most.

Tacoma, Washington
5. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

In early march anything is possible but the most likely spot is sisKiyou pass area near the orego California border.

In march most places snow is more common overnight then change to rain during day light.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 335
6. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

Not really Port-Angeles related question. I'd repost on road trip section. As noted, crossing the Siskiyous from Oregon into Washington, not Port Angeles, is your most likely location of a snow delay.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 335
7. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

p.s. sorry, that crossing from Oregon into California.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
reviews: 5
8. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

Even in Port Angeles, we often get snow in early March. A few years ago, it stayed for over a week, much to the shocked consternation of the locals. Usually it melts after three days.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 54
9. Re: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?

We make the same trip, in late February. Our only concern is, as all have warned, the Siskiyou Pass. We just pray for clear road and hope not to have to detour. You might encounter some snow on 101 along Hood Canal, so instead, from 101 take 104 - 3 - 16 to I5.

Try to make it farther south than Eugene and Stockton the first two nights, subject to BlackBelt4dan's very good advice.

At the other end, last year we went via San Bernardino. We did not like that route at all -- traffic jams, construction detours, speed zones, yuck. So this year we are probably going to try a route from Bakersfield east on 58, down to Lucerne Valley and Yucca Valley.

Reply to: Would there be a risk of snow in early March?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted