We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

Which Port Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 29
Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

I will be in Port Angeles mid March and would like to cycle to Sequim with my boys 9 and 11. Would this be appropriate for kids? Is it easy to moderate?. Would love to hear from someone who has actually cycled it, or knows someone who has. Thanks!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
1. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

Yes, if you are all good cyclists, it should be easy. Many, many people do it.

Victoria, Canada
2. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

Oh, not everyone is a good cyclist, that is why I am wondering if it is fairly easy or moderate?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
3. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

I am thinking in terms of your children, so I am going to err on the side of caution and say moderate. The trail has a small elevation gain. One of the worst parts is right at the edge of Port Angeles. The trail climbs a little out of the Morse Creek area. I will say that mid-March could be quite cold and windy. It is one of our less attractive months.

Port Angeles...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

What is your destination exactly in Sequim? You can easily do a bus/bike option by checking out the commuter route (#30) on Clallam Transit, especially if the weather is poor or your kids get tired out. There is room for 3 bikes on their front rack of the bus. The bus ride costs $1.50 USD and there is a reduced fare for kids. Have you also checked out the Discovery Trail going from Port Angeles to the Elwha River? The trail is fantastic once you get on it (which I can explain if you are interested). The grade is far easier going west thanks to the Bridge over Dry Creek (props to ATAPA), the trail newer, and an overall fantastic ride. You could head to the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribal Center if you wanted to make it into a one-way bike ride by then taking the bus back to Port Angeles.

seattle
reviews: 2
5. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

To bike from Port Angeles to Sequim, take a look at the Olympic Discovery Trail:

olympicdiscoverytrail.com/trail_maps/east_ce… (scroll your mouse along the graph and watch the blue dot on the map to judge the elevation gain and estimate the distance between any two points)

It is mostly flat From City Pier at Port Angeles to Sequim. You'll follow the waterfront out of Port Angeles. There will be a short uphill stretch coming out of the Morse Creek area just east of Port Angeles when you get close to highway 101 and until you cross Old Olympic Highway. Flat after that. Near Sequim, the trail goes through Railroad Bridge Park and the bridge over the Dungeness River. An easy ride, overall, and really nice on a good day.

For your kids, though, I think the challenge may be the distance, rather than the difficulty of the ride, per se. It's about 20 miles to go from Port Angeles to Sequim on the Olympic Discovery Trail, with little opportunity for side trips or access to any businesses until you reach Sequim. Then a 20 mile ride back, unless you arrange for transportation or use the bus to go back to PA from downtown Sequim.

With kids that age, I would probably take them far as the wooden bridge over Morse Creek, then head back to PA. That would be a nice bike ride along the Port Angeles waterfront and back; I think about 10 miles round-trip. This website describes that section of the trail:

www.cityofpa.us/parkrec-waterftrail.htm

Victoria, Canada
6. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

Thanks everyone for your input. We want to go to the game farm in seqium, does the trail go there? BTW, we are only going one way as my husband will pick us up in van. I am interested in hearing about the trail to Elwa(?)

Port Angeles...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

If you go to google maps, put in directions from Port Angeles to the Olympic Game Farm, and then click the bicycle icon, it will show you where you would get off the discovery trail and it is about a 20 mile ride as cicimo said. I would get off the Discovery Trail at Finn Hall Road in Sequim and then make your way on less busy roads to the Game Farm. I think it would be fun adventure, especially if you have a van as backup. As for the discovery trail to the Elwha River, do the same thing in Google maps, but this time enter directions from Port Angeles to Elwha River Road and you will see the discovery trail to the Elwha River Bridge. It is about 8 miles one-way and the new bridge has a totally separate bike/pedestrian walkway under the road-part of the bridge. Google maps shows you that the Discovery Trail doesn't start until you get to W 10th Street in Port Angeles so you will follow street directions until the trail starts again. Hill Road is the only bad part. If you want to avoid Hill Road with your kids you could alternatively have the bikes loaded in the van and get up that hill and then start your ride. Here is a link to that portion of the Discovery trail I am talking about: olympicdiscoverytrail.com/trail_maps/pt_ange…

8. Re: Cycling Port Angeles to Sequim in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014