We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle area

Which Port Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 7
Seattle area

My fiance and I are traveling to Seattle in October. We plan to spend a few days in Seattle, travel to Mt Rainer/Mt St. Helen's and then explore Olympic National Park. Any suggestions on what trails to hike in Mt. Rainer and Mt St. Helens? Where to stay in all areas: Mt Rainer, Mt St. Helen's, Olympic National park? Are we ambitious to think we can do two short hikes same day on Mt Rainer and Mt St. Helens? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! Oh, we will be renting a car!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
1. Re: Seattle area

Yes you are being too ambitious to do two hikes in one day at Rainier and St Helens . The days are getting shorter. Where to stay for Olympic depends on what you want to see, how many days you plan on being on the Penninsula and the weather. Also generally the weather the first week in October is very different than latter in the month. We can suggest hikes, but we need more info. Mountains, beaches or forests? How many miles do you want to hike? What kind of elevation gain are you comfortable with. Do you have rain gear?

Edited: 4:50 pm, September 10, 2013
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
2. Re: Seattle area

Have you used GoogleMaps to get an idea of the distances involved?

3. Re: Seattle area

We plan to be in the area mid-October. We would leave the Seattle area, Thursday around noon and head to Mt Rain area. Stay overnight there, do an early hike and then head to Mt St. Helens. I did note the time is 2.5hrs from Rainer to Helen's, so it's possible to do a hike at Mt St Helen's Saturday. Another option, is to do a scenic drive around Rainer and cont towards Helens. Hike for these areas prefer to be light/easy, less than 3miles. Keeping Rainer/Helen's an open based on a friends suggestion, so if Olympic park is better, and we can skip Rainer/Helens, we can save it for another time. We have a total of 8days in the Seattle area.

As for Olympic park, definitely want to see the Hoh rain forest and the sol duc hot springs. I'd like to stay near the beach and have a short drive to where we can hike and see scenic mountain views. I hear Hurricane ridge is nice. In Olympic park, we would be open to a moderate, longer hike, but no more than 5-6mi.

Given the weeks time, I want to get a good scenic trip, hitting the main points. Mixing hiking and relaxation! Thanks for suggestions!

4. Re: Seattle area

Oh, lower elevations. We're from the east coast, NYC area. Not used to higher elevations.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
5. Re: Seattle area

Sol Duc Hot Springs is a big parking lot with a series of small huts set around it along with a larger building that houses a simple restaurant and a general store. Behind the general store is a big concrete apron with several swimming pools set into the concrete. Water from the hot springs is piped into one of the pools. There is nothing wild or scenic about Sol Duc Hot Springs. It's not what you think.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 61
6. Re: Seattle area

yes, skip Sol Duc and keep Hurricane Ridge and a visit to the ocean beach(es).

Mt St Helens is an amazing place to visit so do not short change yourself there. the visitor centre and a couple of hikes could easily use up a day.

7. Re: Seattle area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 16, 2014