We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Valley Walk which time to book?

Which Franz Josef hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
reviews: 83
Glacier Valley Walk which time to book?

We wish to book the 3 hr Glacier Valley Walk for June 30th. We will be in Hokitika the evening before and will drive to Franz Joseph on the 30th where we will stay overnight before moving on. Currently there are two times available to book the Glacier walk - 10.15am or 2.15pm. As we have a 2 hr drive to get to Franz Josef are we better booking the later tour - but as it is winter wont it be dark by the time the tour finishes??

We don't mind early starts so can set off early from Hokitika but I believe the roads can be dangerous early in the morning.

Help appreciated.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Glacier Valley Walk which time to book?

I would do the 2:15. Purely for the last reason given about potentially dangerous, icy roads in the morning.

It'll get dark about 5:15, meaning the tour should just finish in time.

Edited: 5:41 am, April 23, 2012
Auckland Region...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Glacier Valley Walk which time to book?

Also, I could be wrong but I believe you can do a similar walk on your own if you want to save money or be more flexible with your time.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

In the winter it 's perhaps a little bit safer though to go with a guide if you're not experienced hikers??

Edited: 5:51 am, April 23, 2012
Franz Josef
3. Re: Glacier Valley Walk which time to book?

Hi there

The Glacier Valley Walk will get you back before dark :)

Either trip would be fantastic - depends on what else you want to do en route to Franz Josef.

Just so you know - when you book your Glacier Valley Walk you will also be able to add in a discounted Glacier Hot Pools entry - saves you money, and is a nice treat after the walk!

As OskarNZ says, you can go up the valley floor on your own. The beauty of going with a guide is that you get the commentary all the way up. There have been some substantial changes to the ice over the last 6 months and these are fascinating to hear about. (for more on this, check out our blog at www.franzjosefglacier.com/community/blog/

Hope to see you our way soon!

Kind regards, and safe travels

Kerry @ Franz Josef Glacier Guides

4. Re: Glacier Valley Walk which time to book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:40 pm, June 18, 2013