We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Days South Island

Which Franz Josef hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 1
8 Days South Island

We have 8 days in the South Island and need to know whether it is better to go to the west coast then south to Te Anua rather than north to Picton, Nelson etc. We are travelling with 2 kids aged 11 and 14 so we don't want to be on the move all the time.

After the 8 days we have 7 days in Queenstown. Fly into Christchurch and fly out of Queenstown

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
1. Re: 8 Days South Island

Hello DB :)

it depends on your interests. You could;

1 arrive Chch

2 explore - punt on the Avon, play in snow at the Antarctic Centre

3 drive to Franz Josef

4 explore glaciers

5 drive to Wanaka

6 explore - Puzzling World, Pioneer rafting, Cardrona Adventure Park

7 drive to Te Anau, glow worm caves

8 explore Milford Sound, stay Te Anau

9 drive to Queenstown...

hope this helps :)

Brisbane
reviews: 1
2. Re: 8 Days South Island

Thanks for that.

We are keen to see seals and penguins and walk on glaciers. Apart from that just scenery I suppose. Is going south better than going north in winter?

Europe
reviews: 32
3. Re: 8 Days South Island

If you are going to the Sounds , may I suggest Doubtful instead of Milford which was discribed to be the "Central station" of the fjordlands. The locals/B&B owners whom we stayed with all recommended Doubtful sounds and we are glad we listened. We saw seals, penguins and a pod of dolphins all in one day , now that is hard to beat. Do go with Real Journeys, they are a friendly and professional bunch.

We also stayed at Paua Bay farm stay (near Akaroa) about 1.5 hr drive from Christchurch. Your kids will have fun exploring the farm and the beautiful land/beach.

Have fun and enjoy this beautiful land (and people).

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 63
4. Re: 8 Days South Island

You must not miss the top half of the South Island as you have plenty of time in the deep south

\For 8 days you are better to go via Kaikoura to (see) seals....i do not know what to seal implies but will stay away in case it is an aberration I have not come across..

Stay a 2 nights here and if into watching whales (watch getting sea sick) it is the place.

......go up via the Marlborough area to Picton and take them on a trip to the Sounds/Ship of Coves(Capt Cook stayed here 5 times while having discovery moments in the Pacific)

Off to Nelson stay 2 days.....

.....next day down to Punakaiki for a night as the kids will love the blow holes .

.......head down to fox glacier or franz....they are much the same but Fox has Lake Mathieson.

......Head to Wanaka ....otherwise I will get into trouble with Wanaka Lakes

...... then hit the Terry tourist grounds of Queenstown and there is plenty to do from there on.

5. Re: 8 Days South Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 12, 2010