We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heicopter operators - which one?

Which Franz Josef hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge...
reviews: 139
Heicopter operators - which one?

Seems like there a handful of helicopter operators for the the glacier tours. Which is the most reputable?

These are the 3 I found so far:

Helicopter Line - http://www.helicopter.co.nz/default.asp

Glacier Helicopters - http://www.glacierhelicopters.co.nz/franz.asp

Alpine Adventures - scenic-flights.co.nz/fox-franz-josef-glacier…

Is one better than the other?

Thanks!

Banks Peninsula...
1. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

Hi,

Try either HELICOPTER LINE or ALPINE ADVENTURES. The other one can be difficult to book as the pilots also do contract flights to and from Christchurch.

The recommended are competitive, friendly and know the Glacier area so well (as they should)

Cambridge...
reviews: 139
2. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm so excited for this trip!

Are many getting cancelled for weather this time of year?

Banks Peninsula...
3. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

Everyone has to take their chances of course with the weather. Your best idea is to Google now the two operators and get an idea of the best price you want to pay. Then schedule a day and time to book a flight and if the weather is not good - the helicopter operator will give you times to check back in with them .... of course they are continually using their local knowledge and the meteorological service to help you.

It would not be possible for THEM to contact YOU on a cell phone because reception on the West Coast is almost non existant. But if you are standing by at a Motel etc., they will phone you there on the land line.

leicester
reviews: 3
4. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

we were over in Franz last summer and did a helicopter flight. we enjoyed it very much. Next day the weather was beautiful again and we wanted to see more. there is an scenic flight plane in Franz Josef too, we took their flight and wow, that was awesome, it didn't make a snow landing, but we'd done that the day before anyway and to be honest it was a bit of an anticlimax, we just wanted to get back in the air..... the airplane flight was way longer (nearly an hour I think), we all had window seats and we just saw so much more, so personally I would recommend them. the local guys are called air safaris, www.airsafaris.co.nz i think. Whatever you decide to do the scenery there is some of the most incredible I have ever seen

Cork, Ireland
reviews: 19
5. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

Hey Before sunrise,

We did a heli hike in october, we had one booked for the afternoon as we were coming from punakaiki. But as we got closer to Franz Josef we knew that it was going to be cancelled we went to the office and were told the bad news that we wouldn't be going up as the weather was too bad and it would be too dangerous.

So the girl booked us in for the first flight the next day as we had allowed time for this just incase it had been cancelled. So my recommendation is book it for the first day ye are going to be in Franz Josef, if you can't go up that day make it that you have time to go up the next day, if the weather clears.

www.getjealous.com/csquared

there are pics and a short video of the heli hike on our blog

Cambridgeshire
reviews: 28
6. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

We had a great flight with Helicopter Line. Price seemed damned reasonable for the amazing experience we had. However, there's no guarantee you'll get a flight with anyone this time of year...

Melbourne
reviews: 4
7. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

http://www.mountainhelicopters.co.nz/

We have had this line recommended to us.

Wisconsin
reviews: 36
8. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

We'll be traveling to NZ in March 2008 and plan to do a helicopter flight.

I noticed that Helicopter Line and Alpine Adventures were recommended. For the 40 minute trip, Alpine Adventures is a bit less expensive ($340) than Helicopter Line ($360). I also looked at the trip options for Mountain Helicopters. Their 40 minute trip is the least expensive at $335.

Are all the companies equally safe? Is there a qualitative difference in their flights or does the price difference just reflect a competitive market?

9. Re: Heicopter operators - which one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 12, 2009