We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

Which Fox Glacier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 35
Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

Hello!

We will be staying 2 nights in Glacier Country. We will be driving down the coast from Punakaiki. We will stay the night we drive in, go to Fox Glacier for a heli hike the next day, then return to the lodge for the second night. Then we continue south to Wanaka. As both Franz and Fox are close to each other, I don't think it matters the location of the lodging. I am more interested in which one is more comfortable, clean, and a better place. My husband doesn't really like staying in "home" type accommodations, but very nice lodges or inns or hotels. I am not concerned with the different costs in comparison with each place, only the pleasantness of the accommodation.

What is your opinion, please on the following 3 places:

Westwood Lodge in Franz

Misty Peaks in Fox Glacier

Te Weheka Inn in Fox Glacier

Thank you very much for your input.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
1. Re: Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

We stayed in Te Weheka and it was certainly comfortable and clean. The staff was also very friendly and accomodating. The manager went out of his way to introduce himself and spend some time talking to us. He also hosts a wine happy hour in the lounge area where you can meet other travelers. It was fun to find out if others had been where you are heading and vice versa. It was not the most luxurious of the lodges we stayed at in NZ but I don't think there are true luxury accomodations in the Glaciers.

I can't comment on the the other lodgings.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 30
2. Re: Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

I stayed at Misty Peaks and enjoyed it very much, albeit at a shoulder rate. However, it is essentially an extremely nice B&B rather than a lodge.

Christchurch, New...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

My advice is to head to Fox Glacier and stay at Te Weheka. It is one of my favourite lodgings in NZ. Misty Peaks at Fox is also good.

Nothing against Westwood Lodge but I just like Fox.

There is very little in the way of quality accommodation anywhere along the West Coast so Te Weheka is amongst the best on offer.

It is a very tiny village and the glacier is great. You'll love the Heli-Hike, an awesome experience.

Be sure to go and check out Lake Matheson while in town, if it is a nice calm day you get amazing reflections of the Southern Alps in the water.

Hokitika
reviews: 6
4. Re: Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

The least home like accommodation will definatly be the Te Weheka Inn. This will also work out well because you are doing your Heli Hike in Fox glacier, you will just be able to walk across the street to check in and not have to drive in your car. Fox is also a great little township. Much quieter than Franz josefi think that you will really enjoy it there.

United States
reviews: 35
5. Re: Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

Thank you very much for your responses.

Interesting: On the Trip Advisor photos in reviews and listings and on the individual websites of the establishments, The Westwood Lodge looks like more of a motel than a home atmosphere. We would choose the Coach House Suites not in the main house. Misty Peaks looks like a home. And I wasn't sure about Te Weheka Inn.

Two of you suggested Te Weheka, and none suggested Westwood. The only thing about Te Weheka is that they only have a rollaway for our 20 year old, while Westwood and Misty have available 2 suites, so we don't have to share a room.

I appreciate your comments.

6. Re: Which of the 3 accommodations would you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, October 12, 2009