We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hofheim Germany
reviews: 20
?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

We´re staying at MB&G resort for 4 nights in Aug with our Teenager. I see that they have Bicyles available. Does anyone have more info on these? Cost, advance reservation ect? Also would it be reasonable to ride down to Big Beach on them and spend the day? How far is it? And is there a place to park the bikes safely? Should we bring a Lock from home?

6 replies to this topic
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
reviews: 29
1. Re: ?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

Free. First come first serve. Lock and helmets included. Riding to Big Beach would be reasonable. There is a time limit, like half a day, I think. Some of them are "beach cruisers" which means 1 speed and coaster breaks, like your first bike as a kid! We had fun with them, but you can't count on what you will get or if 3 at a time will be available. You might want to call the concierge if you have more questions, they're very helpful. Also great to ride up to Cafe on the Green and over to Makena Landing.

Have fun!

Hofheim Germany
2. Re: ?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

Thanks for the Feedback. Sounds like just what we are Looking for to mix things up and get some movement in the day. Perhaps it's better to walk to/from Big Beach if we don't want time pressure.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
reviews: 29
3. Re: ?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

Hello hofheim,

I'm not sure about the bike time limit. I see now that you are from Germany and would maybe prefer to email the resort with you questions, but I do recommend that you ask them for specifics.

It seems to me that a walk to Big Beach along Makena Alanui Road would be hot and not as scenic as many other walks. Also bike lanes on that road stop just south of the resort. I looked on Google maps satellite view and it doesn't seem that there would be a good trail to walk along the coast. I believe the resort would take you to Big Beach in the shuttle if you don't want to drive.

A better walk or bike ride to a beach would be about the same distance north to Po'olenalena Beach. It's a gorgeous beach and much safer for swimming anyway. If you look again at Google satellite view, you'll see that you can take the main road, Makena Aulani with its bike lanes, or little Makena Road along the coast.

To take Makena Road ride through the resort to the back north side and you will see where the road ends in a circle drive. It is is a beautiful walk / ride, though somewhat rough and hilly in places. You will go through peaceful beachside neighborhoods.

You can stop at Makena Landing Park, not much beach, but gorgeous and lots of turtles here. You might want to snorkel. There are park facilities too, with restrooms and sand showers. Also worth a stop is the historic Keawalai Congregational Church and cemetery, a lovely quiet place to contemplate the local history. Then going on to Po'olenalena to the beach sounds like a wonderful morning or afternoon. I wish we had thought to keep riding up to Po'olenalena when we were there! There is always a next time...

If using bikes I would take little Makena Road down and then smooth Makena Alanui back. Bring a hip or backpack for the water bottles that they give you at the bell stand when you leave, there are no bottle holders on the bikes. When will you be there? Hope you will have a wonderful trip!

Aloha

Teri

Edited: 9:48 am, March 29, 2013
Hofheim Germany
4. Re: ?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

Wow, Thanks for all the Details. Po'olenalena Beach sounds like a good option. We have 3 good hikes planned(plus some long beach walks) so thats not really it. I am specifically looking for a beach with a 'Vibe' that is NOT secluded and thought Big Beach would be more interesting for our 16yr.Old Daughter(the more Teenager Boys the better;). I thought the Bikes would be an alternative to struggeling to find a parking spot late afternoon or spending the whole morning in the sun waiting for the Beach to fill up. Sounds strange perhaps but we are willing to comprimise one day and deal with crowds for her. I Hope I have understood BIg Beach correctly.

With the input so far taken into consideration, ?1) Is parking at Big Beach in the afternoon a Problem? 2)are there beach chairs and shade available to rent there?

Thank again

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
5. Re: ?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

Big Beach is the last undeveloped beach on the island. You won't find any vendors there, except perhaps a food truck in the parking lot. Not a whole lot of shade either. Be careful, this is the most dangerous beach on the island. It has a very dangerous surf break.

The parking lot at Big Beach can fill up but that is mainly on weekends. There are actually 2 parking lots, on each end of the beach. Most people don't know about the second lot.

midwest
reviews: 3
6. Re: ?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort

I agree with what msfuzz said about being very careful with your teenagers at

Big Beach. My family traveled to Maui a couple of years ago with our two teenage boys who are fearless when it comes to water sports they surf and boogie board even during the large south swells, however they avoid the water at Big Beach also known as Break Neck beach, because of the dangerous shore breaks. It is a beautiful beach to sit and watch the waves and watch the local expert boogie boarders. But when it came to swimming and boogie boarding their favorite beach was Polo beach. They enjoyed watching the locals there and learning from them. There were some pretty powerful waves there and my teenage boys had the most fun boogie boarding there of anything else we did on the trip, other than surfing, which was the highlight of their trip. They insisted we spend the mornings surfing at Kalamala, and the afternoons boogie boarding at Polo beach every afternoon. It was the highlight of my trip to see them having such a blast, like little kids again, totally mesamerized, and so exhausted at the end of the day they were ready to fall into bed as soon as we ate supper and went for ice cream to fill them up because they were sooo hungry from spending all day in the ocean. Enjoy a wonderful trip with your teenagers! That trip was our favorite family memory to date.

Reply to: ?? About Bicycles from Makena Golf & Beach resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted