We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in more than 1 Wailea Hotel ?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Staying in more than 1 Wailea Hotel ?

Is it silly or pointless for us to stay a few nights in the FS, then move to either GW or the Fairmont for a few nights? I just can't decide on which ones to stay in, so I thought of trying at least 2 of them. But, is it pointless since they are both in Wailea? Should we do one Wailea and one hotel in Kaanapali? Any and all opinions and advice welcome! First time to Hawaii also...But we are not so much into night life; more relaxing, a spa day, good food, nice beach, maybe a luau... Thanks!

Washington DC...
reviews: 230
1. Re: Staying in more than 1 Wailea Hotel ?

It is pointless to pack up and move from the FS to GW or vice versa. They are next to each other. Difference is the FS is quiter, more elegant. GW is more glitzy and NOISY in the pool area with the amuusement park like water attractions. Choose based on that.

Unless you have children with you who want the water theme park, pick the FS.

Moving to Kaanapali would give more of a change of pace--K has more stuff, more people, more activitiies and stores and is closer to Lahaina. But unless you are staying more than a week, I would not move.

Wailea has lovely beaches and is quieter, go down to Makena and LaPerouse, drive upcountry, spend a day going to West Maui/Kapalua and Lahaina...

Danville, California
reviews: 28
2. Re: Staying in more than 1 Wailea Hotel ?

Depends on how long you are staying. We like to "hotel hop" and will be staying at a condo for 6 days in Honokowai (north of Kaanapali) and the Grand Wailea for 4 days. If you do, I would choose Kaanapali area and Wailea area, not just Wailea- this way you see more of the island and get a feel for both as they are both different. Do you have kids and how old? If they are under 4, I'd probably pick FS, if older, I'd pick GW for the pools because if you stayed at FS and visited GW and the kids saw the pools, you'd probably never hear the end of it.

Boston
reviews: 6
3. Re: Staying in more than 1 Wailea Hotel ?

Absolutely stay in Kaanapali and Wailea. Each area of the island has a different flavor. We do this all the time. We find we get bored if we stay in one area too long. Kaanapali is fun and very busy and Wailea is refined and more laid back.

When you stay in Kaanapali you will be close to Lahaina, which is fun during the day and at night we love to dine down there. We take a shuttle down because we don't drink and drive. Lots of shops and restuarants right on the water. The best luau is the Old Lahaina Luau, but book it before you go. They have a website.

Wailea has the Wailea shops that are very upscale with a few regular stores thrown in. They also have a great walkway that goes past all the resorts. We walk it every morning.. You will see lots of gold lame and plastic surgery body parts, but that's part of the fun. You end up thanking yourself that you don't need to look like that.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 24
4. Re: Staying in more than 1 Wailea Hotel ?

You’ve received some very good advice here. Just wanted to let you know that we had our first trip to Maui on September and stayed 2 nights at the Grand Wailea and 4 nights at the Noelani Condos in Honokowai too. We loved staying at two places.

My son loved the slides and pools at the GW. If it had been just my husband and I we would have been more than happy to just stay at the condo. We had a better view and a much better price! You can see my trip report f you want more info.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k938471…

5. Re: Staying in more than 1 Wailea Hotel ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 26, 2009