We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma w/ choosing condos

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pacific NW
Dilemma w/ choosing condos

I am getting married 11/24 in Wailea. We are hosting our families, and our travel agent has 6 condos reserved at the Elua. The problem is, I read the reviews and I understand that condition, furnishing, etc. varies with each unit. He said he can't get pictures of the units, so we have no idea what we're getting. I don't feel right about it, but don't know what to do?! It's Thanksgiving week so the pickings seem slim, but we are paying for lodging, and I want to know which units will suit which family member best!

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Am I being too picky?

Thanks in advance :)

Indiana
reviews: 1
1. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

Sumo34,

Sorry I can't help you in that area. We stay on the Kaanapali side(Mahana).

I would definitely not rent anyplace that I cannot get recent pictures of. I do not think you are being too picky. There are others on the board here that can help you on that side of Maui. Good Luck.

Chicagoland
2. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

Have you looked for alternatives online at vrbo.com? Look at Grand Champions, Elua, Ekahi, Maui Kamaole, Kihei Surfside, Mana Kai. All are thisclose to where you will marry. When you rent direct from an owner you see the exact condo and can ask any questions you want. Thanksgiving week shouldn't pose a problem.

washington state
reviews: 4
3. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

No, you are not being picky. Elua Village is a wonderful complex but very expensive and not all the units are updated. I rented through Destination Resorts and was NOT happy.

Try Mauiownercondos.com for rentals direct by owner there and at Ekahi Village . You can view the interiors online. By the way, we love 5B at Ekahi Village. There are several lovely units for rent at that website and you will pay less than through a prpty mgmt co.

SF Bay Area
Destination Expert
for Wailea
4. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

I have stayed at Wailea Elua - and Wailea Ehaki and Ekolu too.

My experience there is similar to what you have already heard - its hit or miss. I've had great ones, and awful, dirty, smelly ones too. (Just to give you an idea, my family has stayed in the 3 above mentioned every summer from 1978-1994) The complex has a great location, very close to the beach.

It bothers me that you have rented 6 condos from the same person and photos can't be provided (?!?!). They expect you to rent without actually seeing any of the units? I mention this because I work in property managament for the last 6 years, and its a very reasonable and very common request.

My family and I used to own at the Palms at Wailea. Its further up from the beach but the units are all about 10-15 years old now. Pretty new compared to Ekahi, Elua and Ekolu. Outrigger owns a good chunk of them now, and we stay there when we go back to Wailea. We'll be there again this October, and we like it there a lot!

I think it more private than the Ekahi, Elua or Ekolu, has nicer pools and is quieter all around.

Grand Champions down the way is very nice too, as well as many of the locations ChiSue suggested.

Hope some of my experiences have helped - we are also getting married on Maui - after all the time spent there throughout my childhood and adult life, why would I get married anywhere else??

Best wishes to you for a wonderful trip & marriage!

Kihei, HI
reviews: 2
5. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

You are not too picky or you would have selected the condos yourself and not left it up to someone else. Someone, I might add, whose interests are not entirely aligned with your own.

Arranging accommodations for that may people doesn't sound like much fun so I can't say that I blame you farming that out.

Thanksgiving week is sort of the beginning of when things begin to pick up but not necessarily quite all that busy yet. You probably won't exactly have the pick of the peck right now but you could do no worse than an agent on commission. If you are still feeling uneasy, go to www.VRBO.com and see what's left. Might not be even enough condos left to choose from. I would also check with whatever management companies hawk that complex and see if they will work with you. Don't let them know who you are, just check availability and rate, that's all. And see if they will provide photos.

If you used a travel agent, then could be all he/she did was go to a management company and tack another fee on top of theirs, anyway. If nothing else, you could at least recoup that, unless you have a package deal going on.

Are you assigned unit numbers yet, or are those still TBD ?

Kihei, Hawaii
6. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

Aloha,

I'm a virtual tour photographer on the island and one of my clients WaileaRentals.com does virtual tours of every room ... tons to choose from. Great call on not renting from someone where you don't know what room you get ... crazy nowadays. Rent only from those who are willing to show you what you get.

Aloha,

Mark

PS: EluaVillage.com also has some posted, but I haven't seen many of them. We live about a mile away and love this side of the island.

portland, oregon
reviews: 1
7. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

Someone suggested the Mana Kai earlier---I think you would be disappointed. Its not anywhere near the league of the Wailea Elua. We were in Maui and stayed at the Mana Kai, our relatives stayed at the Wailea Elua....it was much nicer, roomy condos. Also much more expensive I would imagine. Nice gated community. I would try to get more detailed info from the renter. My review of the Mana Kai follows--

We just returned from Maui the last day of July 2006. We stayed at the Mana Kai, 6th floor, from a direct VRBO owner. The rental part went fine, pick up the keys from the property mgr., etc. MAID service is suppose to be available if you stay longer than 7 -days, but we never received any even after making a request. I would get this scheduled BEFORE you rent.

As many have said on this forum The Mana Kai is a good value. Super beach location with snorkeling right at your door, swim pool, and a great restaurnant...The Mana Kai is what it looks like. It is not fancy, its a little rough around the edges---but for the money its a great place to stay.

HOWEVER, I'm not exactly sure why, but many locals hang out here. It seems very over crowded during the weeknds, and any evening can be spoiled by local young people (large groups like 8 or more) hanging out drinking beer in the grass area. They stay late and make noise which if you have your bedroom lanai door open keeps you awake. One evening we mentioned it to the ONE security person they have working in the evenings, and he did not have them leave. The ladies at the desk did nothing either. If I am going to pay to stay somewhere at any price, I don't want to feel uncomfortable when I choose to go down and watch the sunset. That is not fair, nor should the MGMT allow it.

There is a public beach access along the one side of the Mana Kai including a public parking lot, but that shouldn't allow young people to drink and have loud conversations on the hotel's property.

Please let me know if you want more info about the Mana Kai or anywhere else on Maui--we have been there a lot and have good info to share.

8. Re: Dilemma w/ choosing condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, August 15, 2009