We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
reviews: 103
Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

with teens and grandparents...

so I showed options to my oldest DD. I had narrowed it down to 1 unit at the Whaler on West side and a unit at Ekahi Village South....

She didn't like Whaler. Likes Ekahi but wants a hot tub. Didn't realize Ekahi doesn't have a hot tub.

Found a 3 BR in Grand Champions and several 2 BR in the Palms that look good....opinions?

Edited: 4:10 pm, June 23, 2013
US
reviews: 31
1. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

Every condo is unique. Good owners take care of thiers. We like Grand Champions. Found some with a local owner. Great folks. Always well maintained and attentive of if needed. Going back for 5th time soon.

Indy
2. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

I know to look at individual units because they do vary so much. Glad you like Grand Champions. Any particular area of complex to look for or avoid? Thanks.

Trish

Indy
3. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

it looks like palm villas are close to ekahi but not beach side...i've read that the units are more spread out than grand champions. grand champions is closer to beach and has 2 pools.

are either closer to restaurants shopping?

thanks.

New Mexico
reviews: 8
4. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

Neither Grand Champions nor Palms are beachfront. Depending on where you end up in either property, there will be a certain (possibly substantial) amount of walking involved to get to a beach. This map may help you orient yourself: mauiownercondos.com/images/maps/wailea-maken…

Personally, I wouldn't allow having a hot tub on property to trump being right on one of the loveliest beaches on Maui, which is the case for Ekahi, which is on beautiful Keawakapu beach.

Indy
5. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

conceli...thanks for the excellent point...

ekahi is also $800 more than the unit at grand champions i was considering...

and it's a 2bedroom vs a 3 bedroom although the layout is like a 3bedroom [enough beds for everyone]

thanks so much.

New Mexico
6. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

Yes, beachfront is always going to cost more, unfortunately! $800 is a lot of money. Have you considered someplace like Maui Kamaole in Kihei? The location is beautiful, and although it is across the street from the beach, it gets generally excellent reviews, and costs less than most of the Wailea options.

Chicagoland
7. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

Grand Champions is far from the beach, and I just plain don't care for the architecture, or being on a golf course. (So much for unbiased opinions!) The units tend to be large, but the lanai not so big.

The Palms looks odd on the outside, but the units are large and nice inside. It's walking distance to the beach.

We own at Maui Kamaole, which we chose because the complex is new-ish, low-rise, low-density (like Palms), but NOT on a golf course. It's close to both Kamaole III beach and Keawakapu beach. Because it is built up the side of a small hill, many units have nice ocean views with big lanai, and there's good air circulation. Even the 1 BR's have two baths. Two pools + two tubs + two tennis courts. (Newest units "J" and above.)

Ekahi is more expensive because it is on the beach side of the road and is low-rise, low-density. You can be even farther from the water's edge than places opposite the beach though -- see layout map. I like Elua better than Ekahi, but either one is a step up from the others I've detailed here. Look carefully at units along the edges of Elua and Ekahi that abut the new Hyatt Andaz (between the two). I see some listings that do not show the views post-construction; show the old Renaissance property that was demolished.

Had money been no object when we bought, we'd own at Makena Surf! LOL

Indy
8. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

can't afford elua. the building at ekahi is 20.

maui kamaole has that steep hill so wouldn't want to walk to beach with stuff [especially walking back]. maybe in person it's not as bad as seems.

chisue...lol. money no object we'd rent at wailea beach villas. :O)

so i guess the palms might have slight advantage to grand champ. ...

oy...i know i'm overthinking but i'm in charge everyone 'trusts' me and doesn't do any research...i don't want to hear 'why do we have a long walk' or where's the beach or no hot tub?

it's my family of 5 my MIL and my folks....

New Mexico
9. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

If you are eliminating Ekahi due to the lack of a hot tub, and are choosing between Grand Champions and Palms, I'd do Palms, for the reasons ChiSue has outlined.

However, if you are worried about complaints about a long walk, or where's the beach!?, you really would be better off at Ekahi, especially if you are looking at a unit in the 20 block. Just sayin'.

Yup, I hear you on the feeling responsible for making everyone happy thing. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
10. Re: Still haven't decided...what about Palms or Grand Champions?

I think Grand Champions would be a longer walk to the beach than either Palms or Maui Kamaole. It also sits on a hill so the walk back up would not be fun! The property seems very dense to me, with lots of concrete and not much green space. I like the grounds at Palms and the large lanais. Have not stayed at any of these, but have visited and am quite familiar with the locations. My choices of those you have mentioned would be Ekahi Bldg 20 or Palms.