We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon condo

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wakefield...
Honeymoon condo

My fiance and I are honeymooning in Hawaii this August. We are staying 4 nights at the Hyatt in Kauai, 4 nights at the Hyatt in Kaanapali, and have 5 nights to stay in Wailea. We are looking for a condo in Wailea. We do not plan on spending a lot of time in the condo so a spacious unit isn't very important. We would like a nice view from the lanai and be in walking distance to the beach and bars. It seems like Grand Champions, Ekahi, and Ekolu have the most condos available on VRBO. Any recommendations between those three?

Plymouth, Michigan
reviews: 5
1. Re: Honeymoon condo

Aloha April,

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding! I completely understand your desire to visit as many locations as possible during your lengthy hmoon, however, I sincerely believe that you will enjoy yourselves much more by not packing up and leaving West Maui at all. There is way more than enough to see and do using Kpali as your home base. FYI, with the Hyatt's sunshine on sale promo, you get the 5th night free, check their web-site. With 5 nights+ you may want to consider a condo for more space and the convenience of a kitchen for blending up some adult beverages, sandwiches and snacks.

The drive to South M. is only 45 minutes and you should definitely spend a day exploring the beaches and snorkeling etc. If you are set on moving about, pack light and plan your transition day so you loose the least amount of your valuable vacation time waiting to check-in and unpacking...again.

2. Re: Honeymoon condo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:00 pm, June 20, 2013
Edited: 5:00 pm, June 20, 2013
Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 18
3. Re: Honeymoon condo

I was going to say something very similar to what Mauinuts said. Just plan on wasting at least 1/2 a day each time you change hotels/condos. AT LEAST! You have to check out at a certain time at the first place, after packing everything up and lugging it all down to your car, then figure out how to spend the next few hours until you can check in to the next place, with luggage in tow, then get to next place, check in (hope room is ready), unpack, get the lay of the land and familiarize yourself with new resort and room, etc., then maybe by 5 or so you'll be ready to get on with your day! How many hours have you spent doing all this? TOO MANY! In my opinion, stay put at the Hyatt!

Sorry, I know it's not the opinion you were looking for, just my two cents on the subject! If you had a week at each place, I'd say go for it! But 4 nights at one place and 5 at the other, time is just too precious a commodity to be wasting moving from one place to another!

Chicagoland
4. Re: Honeymoon condo

Could you divide your islands more evenly? You'd get a much better price on a condo with a stay of at least a full week, and it's hardly worth stocking one for less time. If you decide on South Maui, Grand Champions would be my third choice on that list, and only Ekahi is 'beachfront'. You might also look at The Palms and Maui Kamole if you don't need to be beachfront -- just *near* the beach. I'd prefer either of these to GC.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
5. Re: Honeymoon condo

I don't see a problem with staying at 2 different places on Maui. I would check to see if the condo complex I was moving to in Wailea will let you drop off luggage before check in time. If that is the case, go for it. You could check out of the Hyatt around check out time, drive to Wailea drop off your bags and you are good to go. We're only talking about an hour here!! You could also see if the owner of the condo is flexible about check in times. Even if you can't drop off your luggage, you could find something to do (that won't cause you to worry about luggage in your car) until check in time. I just don't see it as being that big of a deal.

Knowing your nightly budget for the condo in Wailea will help us give you advice about different complexes.

Edited: 2:18 pm, June 20, 2013
Wakefield...
6. Re: Honeymoon condo

Thank you for your responses. We would love to stay more nights at the Hyatt, however, based on the rate of $350+ per night, we couldn't afford another 5 nights at that rate. The condos in Wailea are around $200 per night, which we are fine with paying. We are going to Wailea first, then to Kaanapali. We are planning on renting a car and when we check out of the condo in Wailea we are going to do some sight seeing on the way to Kaanapali, that way we can check in well after check in time and not "waste time". We are not concerned at all about wasting time packing/unpacking, this is not an issue to us, we pack lightly! My question was, which condo of those three, Grand Champions, Ekahi, or Ekolu are worth $200 per night? ChiSue said GC would be third on the list, would others agree?

Chicagoland
7. Re: Honeymoon condo

Only Ekahi is on the beach side of the road. True, it is a large property, which means that some units at the back of the complex are a good walk from the ocean, but there are several pools. Ekolu has always seemed a little under-landscaped to me -- out there baking in the sun on that hillside. Ekahi is lush -- and you can walk to Shops At Wailea. (Or drive three minutes to something in South Kihei.) I'd take The Palms or Maui Kamaole over Grand Champions.

Would Hale Pau Hana or Mana Kai Maui suit?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
8. Re: Honeymoon condo

I lived at Ekolu for 3 months when we first moved to Maui. It's definitely NOT under landscaped!! LOL!! Very nice place if you don't mind walking down the hill to get to the beach. But, you also have to walk up it to get back!! This complex is geared towards adults, I would stay there again but not if I had children. They of course do allow children but I got the real impression that they were to be seen and not heard. I don't have any experience with the other two.

Buena Park...
reviews: 11
9. Re: Honeymoon condo

We are renting a condo in Kihei for $100 / night (Kihei Alii Kai). Just a minute walk to the beach. The unit is fully furnished.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
reviews: 29
10. Re: Honeymoon condo

April, I know you didn't ask about moving or not but I just want to chime in on your side. In January we had nine nights and split it 4 nights in a Lahaina condo and 5 nights at Makena Resort. We too, pack light and didn't feel like we wasted much time at all. The move was fun!

When we were planning that trip we considered and almost booked a unit at Ekahi. That would be my choice of those three as well. Even if you are a bit of a walk from the beach, it's a nice walk. And the oceanfront pool looks great! BUT I will caution you, if you haven't read this already, do not book an unspecified unit through the resort. Apparently some of them are in terrible shape and it is just the luck of the draw whether or not you get a nice updated unit or and ancient unkempt one. Choose your exact unit through vrbo or an agency. Will the new Andaz Resort be open yet in August? That will probably make things more crowded on the beach. Just some thoughts to consider.

Best wishes on your marriage and have a happy Hawai'ian honeymoon with many more visits. That's the secret to a great marriage - ask anyone here!