We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

My wife and I are looking to getaway with our toddler. We don't really like "Family resorts" with kids clubs and football field sized pools etc. We are looking for a nice low key 4 star hotel/resort that offers child minding facilities upon request but its amenities and access to activities are much more focused towards adults.

Totally open to ideas as long as its by the beach, preferably some surfing and a cool town nearby to check out

Cheers

Brett

11 replies to this topic
LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
1. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

I see that you are broadly asking this question in Mexico, Costa Rica and Hawaii boards.

Bear in mind that you will all need passports for Mexico or Costa Rica

Why did you post this on the Wailea forum in the Hawaii section? Are you planning on going to Maui and staying in Wailea or do you have a more general question? If so , this should be reposted on the general Hawaii board.

Sacramento...
reviews: 24
2. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

I don't know of any hotel/resort that offers childcare on site through the resort/hotel itself.. There are services that you can hire and bring in to sit at your hotel or resort - I have heard good things about Nanny Connection but have not used them myself - you can do a search and see what is available.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 14
3. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

Boutique Resort" ... I can't think of a resort that I would consider "boutique," and if you find one that claims to be a boutique - run it by us. It may not be at all what you think it is.

I would look at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua.

Edited: 7:02 pm, June 06, 2013
Gig Harbor...
reviews: 99
4. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

Most resorts offer activities for children, the majority have an age limit of five. For a three year old I would suggest contacting The Nanny Connection, most hotels and resorts will refer you to. Do a quick search on the forum for other child care services that have been used by TA'ers.

Boutique style hotels are not many - there are a multitude of condo properties that fit description - perhaps you might like Napili Kai Resort comes to mind - lovely property - Condo's are variable, from basic to luxury - all over, it's very helpful to have extra room with a child. Most of the hotels are big. Hawaii is a familiy destination and there are not a lot of adult oriented properties, as a loose rule of thumb - the smaller the pool, the fewer kids. The time of year has a lot to do with it also. When do you plan to travel? Nightly budget?

Hop over to hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau… and look at the properties information, although these are numerous, it is not covering every place. You may see something that you like the look of. Look and see, read reviews here on TA, ask questions.

Seattle
reviews: 7
5. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

Maybe the soon to be opened Andaz in Wailea--supposed to have that hip young adult vibe, near busy beach town of Kihei, combined with a local nanny...

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
reviews: 29
6. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

<<< by the beach, preferably some surfing and a cool town nearby to check out >>>

That sounds like the town of Paia on Maui. Whenever we visit Paia I enjoy noticing parents with a young child in places like Cafe Mambo http://www.cafemambomaui.com/ . They seem like they live nearby and are kicking back after a day of surfing. As a parent with grown kids I imagine what life would have been like with ours growing up in paradise like that!

Maybe you would like the Paia Inn http://paiainn.com/ or the Inn at Mama's Fish House http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/ or a B&B. People on the forum seem to be happy with the Nanny Connection for child care, but where ever you stay they will probably have good recommendations for you too. Since Maui is in the US I would feel comfortable with the child care standards here. Hope you find the place that's right for you and have a great trip!

Aloha

Teri

Chicagoland
7. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

I would look for a nice condo and arrange for a nanny. Wailea Beach Villas? Wailea Ekahi or Elua? Polo Beach Club? Makena Surf? I wouldn't enjoy being cooped up in a single hotel room with a toddler. A resort condo is 'home away from home' -- but on Maui!

What time of year would you be visiting? How long would you be able to stay? Lodging budget?

Edited: 3:34 pm, June 08, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
reviews: 29
8. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

Sue, I agree, a cramped hotel room with a toddler is no fun!

Paia Inn does have some reasonably priced suites. And Brett, if you want spend to $575/night the 2 bedroom beach front cottage at Mama's would be wonderful! They also have less expensive garden cottages with 1 bedroom. The properties Sue lists are very nice too, in upscale Wailea, and secluded Makena - which I love! They are all a bit pricey, and I belive Makena Surf and Polo Beach Club have no one bedrooms. I think you would really like Maui. Let us know what you decide. We all love to help and to live vicariously until our next vacations!

San Francisco...
9. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

awesome thanks everyone!

San Francisco...
10. Re: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers

Thanks again for all your help, having not been to Hawaii before was looking for some inside knowledge, it seemed to be the land of the mega resort but we really like the look of Mamas and Paia Inn

Reply to: Boutique Resorts that can look after toddlers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted