We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Wailea or MCH?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
Hotel Wailea or MCH?

I have been looking over the forums for where to stay for our one night in Wailea. I read an old post comparing the two, but I read recent reviews of Hotel Wailea that suggest the property is no longer as pristine in the unrenovated suites. This is to be expected, of course, but my budget would only allow unrenovated or a room of equal price at the Maui Coast Hotel. Maybe garden view? Is there a recommendation of which would be better? They both look beautiful, and I know Maui will be gorgeous regardless!

This is our honeymoon, and we will be exploring a lot, so we do not need to be entertained all day on the property... Just something clean and acceptable for one night of a honeymoon. We do like nice grounds and excellent service, which both hotels seem to have. Thank you!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

Hopefully others will remember this better than I - but I thought that Hotel Wailea was being converted to individually-owned condos. That doesn't mean that they are renting some out ... but it may be in transition. Sorry to be SO fuzzy.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
2. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

Your are right, BLBL, the Hotel Wailea is (or has been) turned into a Condo-Tel type property. Here's the thread your are remembering.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g609129-i10595-k61…

From the Hotel Wailea you will be up an hill from the beach. You would have to take a shuttle or walk if you want beach time. It is removed from any other hotel in that area so it should be a nice and quiet place to stay.

I've stayed at the Maui Coast, nice hotel but looks just like any other hotel on the mainland. Nice pool, bar and hot tubs though!! You walk across the street to get to the beach. It's in a very busy area of Kihei.

To sum this up, if I were choosing between these two places and wanted a secluded honeymoon I'd go for the Hotel Wailea. If beach time is a must, then the Maui Coast.

Chicagoland
3. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

Um...your ONE night in Wailea? Where *else* will you be staying on Maui? Maybe we should ask about the whole plan here.

Did you look into Makena Beach Resort? Marriott Wailea?

Regina, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
reviews: 86
4. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

MCH is Maui Coast Hotel is it not? MCH does not have any real grounds or views to speak of...

Hotel Wailea is about 3 miles from the beach, though there is a tram that runs up and down the hill. I'm not sure how far along the renos are at this point. For one night I'd take the convenient location of MCH.

Shreveport...
5. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

We fly in to OGG then do Haleakala the next morning, so I thought it made sense to stay there then head to Kaanapali (our ultimate destination) after Haleakala. We will be staying in a condo there then the Kauai Beach Resort for the Kauai leg.

Honolulu, Hawaii
6. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

No comparison.....

Choose Hotel Wailea.

Beautifully landscaped grounds, incredible views, low density development, large units.. Very relaxed, quiet, low-key ambience, with one of Maui very best restaurants on-site. Never many kids about.

And it is less than a mile from Polo Beach, 1.2 miles from Wailea Bay beach, with good shuttle service from the hotel.

The Maui Cost is just a non-descript, boxy-looking complex, which could be in Omaha, shoe-horned onto a long narrow site. Not a very beautiful, quiet or relaxing location, and the pool area is often innundated with kids.

At one place you will enjoy a unique experience, at the other you will just be getting through the night.

Edited: 8:21 pm, June 05, 2013
Shreveport...
7. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Illinois
reviews: 4
8. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Wailea last year for our 25th wedding anniversary. We were very disappointed. You can read my review under my posts. Next year, we are thinking about staying at Makena Beach and Golf Resort so that we can walk on the beach in the mornings. Hotel Wailea was just too run down for us given the money we paid. And we ended up being disappointed being too far from the beach.

Lahaina, Hawaii
reviews: 22
9. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

Too bad about HW....but Capische is still delicious, yes?

Chicagoland
10. Re: Hotel Wailea or MCH?

OK, I see. You want a first night in South Maui, before you go back to Kahului to start the road to Haleakala. That makes perfect sense. So you'd do the volcano and some Upcountry, come back to pick up your luggage that the hotel is holding for you, then head for Kaanapali.

For just an overnight, ANY place in Kihei or Wailea is going to be fine. You'll just want to rest after a long flight and have a nice meal. You'll be up before dawn with the time change -- and off to see the crater.