We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me all about Christmas

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
reviews: 1
Tell me all about Christmas

So we loved Maui so much on our first trip last year that we decided we need a "Maui Christmas".

Tell me all about Christmas on the island

1) What I have to book NOW (car rental and lodging already booked)

2) What is a do not miss that is special for Christmas

3) Best Christmas day brunch

4) News Years in Wailea... what to do

5) Doing a lot of touring this time, goats farm, upcountry, (no Hana, never again). Give us your recommendations

6) Any dinner places that I need to be on top of for ressies if they are impossible to book ?

7) Weather

So basically anything you can think of about Christmas.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 34
1. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

Hey..I have never been, but will be there this Christmas because we are unable to come at spring break like usual. I also have Condo and car. I also have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner booked on open table. I was looking at old Christmas threads and last year Mama's booked by early fall for Christmas. Last year I waited too long to get dinner reservations in Puerto Rico and we were stuck not with what we wanted, but what we could find. Didn't want that to happen again!

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

I will also be in Wailea over Christmas staying at the Marriott.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
3. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

It will help us greatly if you tell us who "we" is. Spouse? Kids? Extended family of ___ people?

Also - how many nights will you have in Wailea.

OK - put this on the agenda: line up all of your "we" on the sand ... swaying palms, blue ocean waves. And have someone take your picture(s). Send it home to your friends.

Also - keep on eye on the local newspaper for activities on the Island (as well as road closures, sales, etc.) http://mauinews.com/

Canada
reviews: 24
4. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

It has been my experience that Airfares for this time period are snatched up rather quickly. It is a wildly popular time to visit.

IME, the fares continue to rise....until sold out. As a rule, there is not much in the way of "seat sales" for this time period.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
5. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

?? New Years is in Wailea. Is the rest of the trip in Wailea as well? Another part of the Islands.

You do have your flights, right?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
6. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

Dec 2013 will be our third year for Maui at Christmas. We've had great weather and some rainy weather. Last year the worst days we had were our visits to South Maui which is not what is suppose to be the case as "everyone" says west Maui is the bad weather in December. Although NYD I think it rained everywhere on the island.

I'd say get your airfare situated. If you can book through Alaska Airlines AND they drop the fare AND you catch it you can get the difference refunded.

If you want to go to Mama's Fish House book as soon as you can. I waited until August last year and ate dinner at 4:30 as our choices were 4:30 or 9:00.

We do Christmas brunch at our condo so can't comment on that. I don't think I've run across anything special at Christmas that isn't available year round.

We did a New Years Eve sail last year....pretty neat!

Loved your comment about RTH...we tried it once and haven't been back.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
7. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

We always spent Christmas morning at my favorite beach on Maui, Maluaka, which is south of Wailea. We would take a picnic brunch. We were by ourselves for the majority of the morning as those on vacation and those with kids were still at home!! All the hotels will be decked out with decorations, check out the Shops at Wailea, they usually have a gingerbread house contest.

The Christmas lights on the Banyan Tree in Lahaina are gorgeous!!

Book anything that is a "must" as soon as possible. Maui gets rather crowded during the holiday season.

If there is a typical winter storm, which can happen in December, it will rain heavily all over the island. Out of the 5 Christmas day's I spent on Maui, we were lucky and never had rain. The heavy rain happened earlier in the month, thank goodness!!

canada
8. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

So great so far.... here are some additional info

Airfare was booked eons ago (Air Canada)

We are me, hubby and daughter (age 10, surfing phenom on her first trip, loves turtles)

We are at Ekahi in Wailea and booked for 14 days !!! Although we are booked at the Westin for 1 night while we go to the luau and spending a day at their beach/pool area

Any tours that I should be book asap or as soon as they are made available?

We want to do a snorkling, whale watching boat thing, I heard of one in Kihei, any recommendations.

I don't mind driving around the island, I live in Toronto and we have to drive EVERYWHERE, nothing is close by so a 35 min drive to somewhere is NOTHING to me. I actually loved driving all over maui. I went to Macy's like every other day... shopaholic

Edited: 3:18 pm, May 29, 2013
canada
9. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

Rusbin

I think the Road to hana needs a info booth at the beginning with someone there to explain how crazy it is. Maybe an informative video.

Caution

You think you know windy roads well this is windy roads on steroids and it seems like it will never end

Sheer drops that are a few inches from your car... we got those in spades.

Kids car sick in the back and you beg them not to puke in the rental car... "I swear just 5 more mins and we should be out of it"

The only highlight is eating random roasted coconut from gooky strangers and you hope to god they are not serial killers.

If you have to pass other cars, start praying...

I lost 5 years off my life on that day.... so should've gone shopping instead.

"Loved your comment about RTH...we tried it once and haven't been back"

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
10. Re: Tell me all about Christmas

Well we had fun taking one of our most tropical photos to Costco, making a Christmas card and sending it to friends back home! Bring printed labels and it's easy.