We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Hello!

We have decided to splurge on our honeymoon and book it at The Four Seasons in Wailea. We are getting married in Kapalua so we will experience the west side of Maui and than honeymoon on the South side. Im wondering if we'll need a rental car when on the south side? I see this resort has a shuttle that will take you around Wailea. We will have a car when on the west side so well get to experience that beforehand. Is there a lot to do on the south side that we'll need a car for??

Thanks!

23 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
11. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

We will be there for 7 nights so maybe a rental car is the way to go.. I don't want to miss out on Maui!

12. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Jumping on this topic, if you don't mind.

My husband and I will be celebrating our 5th anniversary at the 4S in November. We have never been to Hawaii. I, too, was wondering if we will need a rental car, given the free shuttle, and if not, what mode of transportation should we use from the airport. Parking at the 4S isn't cheap... If we wanted to do the Road to Hana one day, is there a car rental right near the resort? Are there enough restaurants within the shuttle distance, or will we want to venture farther?

Thanks!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
13. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

There are a couple of shuttle companies that you can use to get from the airport to the Four Seasons. Executive Shuttle and SpeddiShuttle. You may be able to get the concierge at the Four Seasons to get a rental car for you, you would have to check into that. There are a nice variety of restaurants in the Wailea area you can walk to but most of them are on the "higher end". While just a 5 minute drive into Kihei will yield dozens of restaurants in all price ranges.

Since you say you have never been to Hawaii, I suggest renting a car the whole time. Like I said in another post on this thread, Maui is to be explored. You will be limiting yourself to one tiny area of the island by not renting a car. If you are going to be on Maui for more than a couple of days, rent that car for the entire time. Daily rentals are more expensive.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 26
14. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Rent a car for the entire time. Weekly rentals will be cheaper than daily rentals by a long shot. Pick up the car at the airport.

15. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

How far of a drive is the 4S from the airport? Is it worth renting a convertible for our drives, or is it mostly highway driving that we will be doing to go to restaurants, etc.?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
16. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

The Four Seasons isn't more than 30 minutes drive from the airport. 45 minutes if there is a bit of traffic. Maui only has a couple of "highway's". Convertibles are nice, especially if you are going to be exploring the island. They can also be a hassle sometimes due to the likely hood of trade showers.

17. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Does the FS shuttle take you to restaurants in Kihei?

Hudson Valley, NY
reviews: 40
18. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

We just returned from a week at the Four Seasons and only rented a car for 2 days thru the concierge. A taxi to the airport is around $55 plus tip. The 4S shuttle will take you all around Wailea to shops, restaurants and resorts. It is very easy to arrange car rental right at the resort thru the concierge which we did for 2 days.We rented a car just for the day (approx $80) two times during the week and we did not have to pay a parking/resort fee when we returned it by 11 pm. You just tell the concierge what time you want the car, sign a quick form and you are on your way--very easy. We also took a tour to Hana with Valley Isle Excursions which picked us up at the hotel. Yo uwill love this resort and not want to go off the property too much!

San Carlos...
reviews: 8
19. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Yes get a car.

20. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Thanks, Fanatic. So you rent it for the day for $80 and just return it by 11 with no overnight parking? That sounds great. Do you recommend using the tour group for Hana? We were thinking of renting a car for that day and doing it on our own.

Edited: 10:23 am, October 03, 2013
Reply to: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted