We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Hello!

We have decided to splurge on our honeymoon and book it at The Four Seasons in Wailea. We are getting married in Kapalua so we will experience the west side of Maui and than honeymoon on the South side. Im wondering if we'll need a rental car when on the south side? I see this resort has a shuttle that will take you around Wailea. We will have a car when on the west side so well get to experience that beforehand. Is there a lot to do on the south side that we'll need a car for??

Thanks!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
1. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

The shuttle will take you to most of the south side beaches and hotels. I'm not sure it will take you all the way down to LaPerouse Bay where the last lava flow on Maui occurred. No other place on the island like it. How much exploring will you be doing while on the west side?

Phoenix, Arizona
2. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Getting married and eating dinner at Merrimans. Spend a day or two in Lahaina, going to the Old Lahaina Luau, snorkel in Kapalua and that's about all I have planned so far!

Canada
reviews: 24
3. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

I would recommend having a rental vehicle at your disposal the entire time you are on Island.

Burlington, VT
reviews: 19
4. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Personally I would just rent a car for your entire time on the island. Are going to return the car to OGG in between staying in Kapalua and Wailea? It's definitely out of the way to go back to the airport and then you'll have to pay cab fare back and forth to the hotel unless the 4S offers shuttle service for that?

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 1
5. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

A rental car for a week will be about 1/2 the price of 1 night at the 4S, plus then you will get to see all of Maui at your leisure. Rent the car, you will love the freedom and the rest there is to see on the island.

New Berlin, WI
reviews: 10
6. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

4S does not offer shuttle service to or from the airport. They will take you to the Wailea resorts and Shops at Wailea and up to the mall where the Monkeypod is. The shuttle drivers are very, very nice.

New Berlin, WI
reviews: 10
7. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Also, when are you going to Maui and how many nights will you be at 4S? If you are only allowing a night or two at 4S, you do not need a car (other than transportation back to the airport), but I see it as paying top price to stay on the grounds of the resort. Wailea beach and the walk way are very nice, unless it is crowded. I have stayed at 4S twice in the last 2 years for a total of 17 nights so if you need any other advice, let me know.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
8. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Rent a car for your entire visit. I can only imagine there will be many last-minute things you will need a car for before your Kapalua wedding, and then you'll want to have more freedom to get out and about than a bus will allow in Wailea.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
9. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

Chris has a good point. Where are you renting your car while on the west side? How will you get to the Four Seasons? More I think about this the more I think you will want to have a car. You could drive to the summit of Haleakala. Spend some time in Paia or even do the road to Hana. Maui is to be explored if at all possible.

Phoenix, Arizona
10. Re: need a rental car ? staying at four seasons

I called the airport and they have a shuttle that will pick us up. Will be $40 total for both of us.

The rental car for a week isn't that much but when you add on what it costs to park at the 4S it really adds up! Some of our guests from the wedding will be taking us to the 4S when they leave the island so we have do have a way from getting from the west side to the south side.